Discuss Class 2 Light Switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyparky

Hiya Guys,

Ive got a customer who wants his CU changing, main earthing and bonding is fine but theres no CPC's to the two lighting circuits.

Installing CPC's would be major surgery and I doubt very much they have the money to pay for it but they're elderly and have to call for help if one of the current 3036's blows. I'll most likely end up following the guidance in the ESC guide but they have a few metal switches and fittings.

Question was do the standard plastic switches/pendants we use count as being sufficiently "Class 2" to apply? I can't find anyone selling specifically Class 2 switches, I know you can get class 2 fittings but also wondered if standard pendants would suffice as I really want to keep costs down for them as much as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

all plastic light fittings and switches are classII. i would be inclined to use switches that have the little plastic covers over the screw heads.

Standard pendants and batten holders will suffice. As for switches, you can use nylon screws or the type of switch that has a plastic bung over the screw head.

EDIT: beaten to it. Like he said ^ lol

As stated I would fit all plastic fittings to ensure that everything is class 2

ether fit nylon screws on the switches or use the switches with plastic covers on the screws

i would also state it on the EIC that the lighting circuits have no CPCs but all class 2 fitting installed this covers you should they be replaced in the future with metal fittings

Use the switches with plastic covers, such as the lap unit. Additionally, put a label inside the backbox stating "No metal accessories to be fitted", or something to that effect. All this along with the CU label should cover you.

Hate it when there is no earth, i went to a job were they just wanted there switches changing to Metal ones and said i cant do it unless i run an earth cable in (wasnt gonna happen), so they said fine we will get someone else to do it!!

I did tell them the reason why but the stuck up toffs said thats what they wanted and we will get someone who is capable of switching them over in....whateverrrrrrr...idiots.

Reply to Class 2 Light Switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net