Discuss Class 2 Spur to outside socket in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
"Class 2" Spur off kitchen ring to IP 56 locked S/O. on outside wall of garden flat. Customer unhappy with unsatisfactory EICR. "It's always locked and I only use it to charge my laptop when I'm sitting at the garden table". I pointed out that it was wrong and I can't let it go, things change and one day, someone will plug in something. and get hurt.

when you say class 2 do you mean as in the classes for portable appliances?

If so, I am assuming you have found a socket with no earth and the argument for it being ok is that it is only used for class2 appliances.

Write it up as unsatisfactory and move on!!

Well the op doesn't say there is no cpc, just it's a class II.

So it's just my guess that it might be a transformerless shaver socket, but it would be limited to 200mA of course, probably OK for a laptop, although should be only for shavers.

Agree, if it is this, there isn't any regulation preventing it's placement (assuming it's outside of 3m from the room containing a bath or shower ?).

Where he chooses to shave is up to him.

Armpits or Pubics?

Well the op doesn't say there is no cpc, just it's a class II.

So it's just my guess that it might be a transformerless shaver socket, but it would be limited to 200mA of course, probably OK for a laptop, although should be only for shavers.

Agree, if it is this, there isn't any regulation preventing it's placement (assuming it's outside of 3m from the room containing a bath or shower ?).

So i should change fuse in the FCU to 200 mA from 13 to comply ?

Still a little confused.

external rated 2 pin socket fitted outside fed from a ring. It is fused down with a 13A FSU and the feed cable has no earth.

is this correct?

what size are the conductors?

is the 2 pin socket a shaver type socket or….. ?

picture would help. If you can’t get picture from on site a similar picture from internet search would be good.

Reply to Class 2 Spur to outside socket in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net