Discuss Class II chrome switch (or chrome switch not requiring an earth)???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rocker

Does anyone have any idea where I can get a light switch (or preferably a dimmer) which is chrome or steel (chrome effect will do I spose) which DOESN'T REQUIRE AN EARTH CONNECTION??? Got an installation with the old no-cpc-on-lighting-but-RCD'd-up chestnut, but the owner really wants metal switches (just done all his S/Os in chrome). It appears NO ONE sells ANY class II switches (accoprding to the internet) which I know is rubbish, let alone chrome ones.....

Anyone got any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and while we're at it, is there any such thing as those luminaires with a big fan on it in 'class II'? Cheers.

looks like a cpc install mate., or get a can of silver spray paint non-metallic of course)

As above, you are always recomended to rewire with cpc and thats without metal switchplates , the class 2 way is a last resort and I for 1 wouldn't do it as you never know what fittings are going to be fitted in the future by someone who don't know about class 2, also if the back box becomes live = more problems.
Paul

Just to clarify, the class 2 and rcd has already been done by someone else, I have only been working on the socket circuit, but now he wants me to do his light switches, see, and I've told him I can't put in the ones he wants.

If I were to do a CPC inatall (doubt he would go for it) there's nothing to say that the CPC has to follow the same routes through the joists/walls etc as the live conductors, is there? I was having a shufty and it looks like it would be a lot easier to follow another route.

Not sure on that one , not something I would do. I would rather check IR and if any low readings replace the whole lot or if IR ok add cpc.
Paul

Just to clarify, the class 2 and rcd has already been done by someone else, I have only been working on the socket circuit, but now he wants me to do his light switches, see, and I've told him I can't put in the ones he wants.

If I were to do a CPC inatall (doubt he would go for it) there's nothing to say that the CPC has to follow the same routes through the joists/walls etc as the live conductors, is there? I was having a shufty and it looks like it would be a lot easier to follow another route.

Hi Rocker, does it not wind you up that a client is willing to splash out on the chrome/brass accessories etc. but resists the installation of cpc's against the advice of the guy that they are trusting to advise them in the first place?

yep.IR the circuits, run a single 1.5mm g/y any route you can get. bit of luck the switch drops are in tube so you can fish the cpc down em. but stick to your guns. don't fit metal switchplates without cpc. the term manslaughter comes to mind!!!

Last edited:
There's no way I'm rewiring the whole lot.... the existing is in singles and of course as always with singles, the IR readings are dandy. It will be a single CPC definitely.

I know what you're saying, to be honest I think if I told the guy he HAD to have it wired in he would, but he is actually one of the 'good guys', and he's spent a hell of a lot getting his house sorted and understandably doesn't now what it ripped apart for the sake of a few chrome switches...... the last sparks who was there said the CPC and class 2 method was OK (which it is, I mean even the ESC say so), but I don't think the true extent of it was explained to him.

And no, don't worry, theres absolutely no way I would fit a class 1 accessory to a circuit without a CPC!

if he refuses don't forget to put loads of them warning stickers everywhere lol

Reply to Class II chrome switch (or chrome switch not requiring an earth)???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock