Discuss Class II enclosure + gland recommendation for divorcing SWA armour at TT outbuilding/shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi All
DO NOT RELY ON THE SWA WIRE SHEATHING FOR EARTHING TO AN OUTBUILDING !!!!
Disconnect one end of the sheathing and use it only as an earth protection for the feed cable. Then provide a dedicated earthing method for the out building.
It is unlikely the steel sheathing will give you an acceptable test result.
See the Dave Ward videos on TT

Obviously you can't use the sheath, it's made of plastic!

There's no reason you can't use the steel armour of the cable though, that's one of the things it is designed to do!

The steel armour will give you perfectly acceptable test results if it is installed correctly.

Hi All
Disconnect one end of the sheathing and use it only as an earth protection for the feed cable. Then provide a dedicated earthing method for the out building.
What would you consider to be an acceptable test result?
Watching videos is not a bad way to learn some information but the particular site and circuit layouts can massively affect the type of protection required.
therefore a full understanding of the differences in earthing types is likely to be required before you can say what is or is not acceptable.

I would say that as the installation is TT earthing throughout then there is no advantage in separating the earth of an outbuilding to the earth of the supply

Hi All
No no no no no no no

Reply to Class II enclosure + gland recommendation for divorcing SWA armour at TT outbuilding/shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net