Discuss Class II insualtion test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sweetcheeks82

Hi all, i am using Martindale EasyPat 2100.
My course tutor told me to use the flash gun as a probe for insulation test on class II. Is this correct?
If not am i just meant to use the crocodile clip with any exposed metal?
thanks

Yep I use my earth probe but to be honest I feel this is a waste of time on all plastic appliances as the test meter links out L&N for the IR test .

I have seen guys plug in the appliance and push the test button without using the earth lead and that worries me

Thanks for your reply. You do mean the 'wander earth lead' when you say earth probe dont you?
If there was exposed metal but the crocodile clip couldnt attach to it would you press it against it and run the test?
thanks

sweetcheeks82,

Yes, you're quite correct, you should use the 'wander earth lead' with croc clip for any Class II IR tests (product manual chapter 3.3, page 12).
The flash gun is only for flash tests, which none of us should be doing as part of in-service CI&T.

Your tutor was probably thinking of some much older models of PAT machines, where the red flash probe was also used for the IR test, and the croc clip wander lead was only used for earth bond tests. The Seaward PAT1000S was just such a machine.
All current PAT machines that I know of only use the flash gun/probe for flash tests, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Yep agreed I meant the wander lead and yes if any metal parts on Class II then you reference it to that I have a Kewtech KT 71 and use it for domestics only.

Thank you Grizzly01 and oldtimer.
The reason i am asking about the crocodile clip is i have been having problems with some of the monitors. The crocodile clip wont stay attached to the VGA connector or wont attach properly. I had a reading of .32ohms for earth continuity on one monitor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used to use a thin uninsulated screwdriver as a probe, and clip the wander lead onto it. When you do the tests you just hold the screwdriver onto a metal part.

Reply to Class II insualtion test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net