Discuss Clear reasons why to change old wylex rewireable fuse board keeps poppin up sick of lookog like I'm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
See wylex boards do they need to be changed and need de clear advise the customers always re luctant an my advice and answers seems unconvincing. What reasons wwhy and de advice

If its an old wooden backed one and is mounted on something flammable, and doesn't have the optional fireproof sheet of crap in the back of it, then it needs changing.

If no fuse cover and still has bs3036's in it needs changing.

If you are doing alterations and you need rcd protection & there isn't any it needs changing. (unless you wanna smoke about putting one inlne)

Thanks people new to this site. Starting to feel like my knowledge isn't up to date and so I'm reaffirming my knowledge by reading and asking questions tired of landlords telling me how to do my job and arguing over regs

Thanks people new to this site. Starting to feel like my knowledge isn't up to date and so I'm reaffirming my knowledge by reading and asking questions tired of landlords telling me how to do my job and arguing over regs
Welcome along, don't be bullied by customers, you know the regs, regarding when rcd protection is needed.?

Doesn't need changing just because it's old, not by the regs anyway. Obviously as soon as you start putting new things in then it does. Trust what you know, advise accordingly and let customers make their own mind up. If they are worth having as customers they will take your advice, you being the trained time served professional that you are.

Look at it this way. If you were conducting a periodic inspection, what are the issues relating to a BS3036 board that would warrant codes ?

If asked to do work can it be done without upgrading the board ?

I share your frustration, just recently had a wylex rewireable and thankfully this time the landlord agreed that a new CU was needed, well actually 2 as its economy 7, albeit one only has 2 circuits, so a small one. no rcds in the flat, wiring around 20 years old and extensions leads galore all over the place. had first refusal on the job but due to a pre booked holiday on the one weekend his tenant is out of the flat anytime soon I had to pass it by. However, I actually think it might have been a blessing in disguise as when i saw the state of a lot of the wiring in this flat I just envisage spending ages locating faults. So will almost certainly take longer than a day...
some landlords though think you are trying to fleece them and dont understand why you are telling them you cant do something due to a lack of rcd etc... sometimes it really is better to walk away and leave it for somebody else. it means less money but somethings are better given a wide berth.

Being governed by so much non-statutory documentation (though necessary) which is often treated like law, can make it easy to lose yourself on legal language when you need to make an assessment based on experience and knowledge of said regulations on what is the best course of action within what is "reasonably practicable" (Electricity at Work Regulations - statutory).
3036 as circuit protection is perfectly adequate if the installation is good and they aren't looking to make any alterations to the design, which will then have to be up to the current regulations.
It's worth mentioning that RCDs add additional protection from electric shock and will improve protection from faulty appliances.

Refer to the electrical safety first website for advice in lay mans terms.

Thank you mate. Couple of people feel laughing at me iv got my 2391 but it was a few years ago now. And iv just come back to domestic and I'd rather read up and reeducate myself than just be another dodgy ------- who is unsure of what he is doing and why so I appreciate your time nd advice. Gettin emails every 2 secinds. How fo u close the qurstion had enough advice now
Being governed by so much non-statutory documentation (though necessary) which is often treated like law, can make it easy to lose yourself on legal language when you need to make an assessment based on experience and knowledge of said regulations on what is the best course of action within what is "reasonably practicable" (Electricity at Work Regulations - statutory).
3036 as circuit protection is perfectly adequate if the installation is good and they aren't looking to make any alterations to the design, which will then have to be up to the current regulations.
It's worth mentioning that RCDs add additional protection from electric shock and will improve protection from faulty appliances.

Refer to the electrical safety first website for advice in lay mans terms.

Thank you mate. Couple of people feel laughing at me iv got my 2391 but it was a few years ago now. And iv just come back to domestic and I'd rather read up and reeducate myself than just be another dodgy ******* who is unsure of what he is doing and why so I appreciate your time nd advice. Gettin emails every 2 secinds. How fo u close the qurstion had enough advice now
To stop getting emails, if you go to the top of the page just to the right of the tags list, below the thread title, there should be the words "unwatch thread" click on this and the emails should stop.
Sorry to send you another email!:(
Clear reasons why to change old wylex rewireable fuse board  keeps poppin up sick of lookog like I'm Unwatch - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Clear reasons why to change old wylex rewireable fuse board keeps poppin up sick of lookog like I'm in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock