Discuss Clerk of works! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jordan252

On a recent job the main contractor had 3 electrical clerks of works and after we had fitted our 100a double pole isolators in the meter room.. using blind 25mm grommits for the tails so the metal box had two holes in the top and two in the bottom. which one of three said "yeah thats spot on".

Three weeks later we got a phone call saying it all had to be changed, all the 25mm holes had to be closed up with blind bushes and we had to use the 32mm hole.....all because of EDDY CURRENTS - havnt heard of these since the first year of college.

Whats your experiances with chewy clerks of works/supervisors...ect...

Very bad practice to run the energised cores of a supply through separate holes into a ferrous enclosure....they should all pass through the same hole....if that is not practical...(unlikely)...a slot should be cut between the two or more holes.

oh yeah i know we shouldnt have done it but al the time of doing five rewires a week and these rooms(i know thats no excuse).. we didnt have two seconds to think and surely this should have been spotted at the design stage and when the materials were being ordered...Plus the clerks of works were like the bloody three muskateers lol where one went the other did.

You may not have come across eddy curents since collage, but you were taught about them for a reason. I’ve had to sort out the mess in a 1600A switch that a contractor had used steel locknuts around singles.

Very bad practice to run the energised cores of a supply through separate holes into a ferrous enclosure....they should all pass through the same hole....if that is not practical...(unlikely)...a slot should be cut between the two or more holes.
Maybe someone needs to see the results of Eddy currents... It will bend metal for God's sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may not have come across eddy curents since collage, but you were taught about them for a reason. I’ve had to sort out the mess in a 1600A switch that a contractor had used steel locknuts around singles.

Idiots like that need to be introduced to the stocks that they used to use.

oh yeah i know we shouldnt have done it but al the time of doing five rewires a week and these rooms(i know thats no excuse).. we didnt have two seconds to think and surely this should have been spotted at the design stage and when the materials were being ordered...Plus the clerks of works were like the bloody three muskateers lol where one went the other did.

This should of been pulled by at least three people. A half decent H&S advisor, Electrical Contracts Manager and possibly the Site Manager.

Yes, but anyone with an understanding of electrical theory should of spotted it. Not blaming you personally fella, but this is the result of rush rush and left hand NOT talking to right hand.

Reply to Clerk of works! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net