Discuss Client Does Not Want Water and Gas Pipes Bonding in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks - my first post so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I have been doing some work installing replacement light fittings for a client who I have advised needs his water and gas pipes bonding. He does not want this to be done - why I am not quite sure, probably as it requires pulling his floor up.

During the project he has asked me to quote for installing a new consumer unit.

I am very reluctant to do this part of the job as I believe I must bond the incoming services.

What is my legal standing here? Can I produce an installation certificate which excludes the main bonding? Will the NICEIC get upset at this?

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken and welcome.

He can have a cowboy install his new CU for him. He has to have the main services bonded for the work to be signed off.

Even if you did the board change and noted on the cert that the customer declined to have the water and gas bonded, If someone gets a belt or worse from a pipe or radiator in the house, you wouldn't be looked upon too favourably by the authorities.

Is there any bonding in place there?

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

There is one bonding conductor in the consumer unit but I have not looked to see where it goes to.

The property is a top floor flat - not that that makes a lot of difference, just a bit more detail.

What has prompted this is that he is having a bathroom installed and the plumber (who is part P) is doing those electrics and has told the client to "pop an RCD Consumer unit in and all will be well".

Cheers

Ken

Get a copy of the leaflet covering earthing and bonding off the Safety Council website and pass it to your customer.

If they still don't accept the requirement is mandatory I'd walk away.

PS. The plumber is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
He has to bite the bullet then.

Existing reduced sized bonding is acceptable if it passes testing relating to the type of installation.

You could show the customer the regs book and outline how the bonding is a necessity, not a luxury. Furthermore, if the plumber has altered or added to the circuit/s in the bathroom then the onus of responsibility lies with him. Unless he has just carried out like for like replacements of fittings, the plumber has a duty of care to ensure that there is RCD protection in place for the circuit he has worked on and that the bonding is in place. If he refuses to do so, you can do the work and the payment can come from the customer via the plumber. You'll probably ruffle a few feathers doing this though! It doesn't matter if the plumber didn't quote for the additional work, it has to be done and if he is qualified to carry out this work, he should know better!

The property is a top floor flat - not that that makes a lot of difference, just a bit more detail.

Not sure the management company, freeholder or other residents would be too happy if he's refusing to have the basics of electrical safety installed correctly...

If the incoming water and gas pipes are fairly close to each other, then you could link the the two supplies back to the MET on a single cable. Not necessarily the best solution, but it will suffice

As been stated, if the existing bonding conductor is not to the standard current requirements, then you need to calculate (adiabatic ) to check if the reduced sized conductor still conforms....

Reply to Client Does Not Want Water and Gas Pipes Bonding in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net