Discuss Cloakroom Extractor Fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TicTax

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm installing a new extractor fan in my downstairs loo. The wall that the fan will be mounted to backs on to my garage and the ducting runs in to there before turning 90 degrees and exiting through the roof. This is a ducting run of around 4m.

Given that the downstairs loo is just that and doesn't contain a shower, it'll never be humid. Therefore, with a ducting run that long, can I install an axial fan or does it have to be centrifugal? I'd prefer axial because frankly they're less of an eye-sore.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Robin.

Building regs don't specify extraction for a wc alone, so I'd suggest that you can do what you like. If you want it to be effective then try to use rigid ducting rather than flexi as it results in lower losses since it's smooth.

I had exactly this problem when my new cloakroom was installed. Builder said I must have a fan, and it is internal, no window. he installed the cheapest, flush fitting fan, and the ducting runs down the cavity wall, under the house and basement, to an outlet on the gable end, in all about 10 metres. Result? The fan extracted the air until the fan stopped running, and the compressed air simply returned through the grille, no use whatsoever...yer far*s just came back!
I fitted a centrifugal fan, and it does the job very well. It has back-draught shutters, too. Ok, it sticks out from the wall a bit, but it would be possible to recess it. Next time, as I have a nice cavity to work with (ooh, missus!) I will install an inline fan behind the wall, or in the ceiling cavity. BTW, just a Manrose centrifugal fan from screwfix, not expensive, and 15 years on I replaced it last month for exactly the same model.

Reply to Cloakroom Extractor Fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock