Discuss CM500 2 wire testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jason_exact

I have a Megger CM500, just back from calibration so its working! I want to carry out an RCD test on the RCBO on a oven circuit but the tester only has a 2 wire test leads and a moulded plug set of leads for sockets. How do i test the circuit with only 2 wires?

I did phone MEgger and they said you can but i have forgotten what they said to do!

Also how do you carry out a Zs test on the same circuit with only 2 wire set of leads?

This is my first post on here so all help welcome please!

Is there not a 3 wire test lead available to purchase?

Seems odd that it has no trip function with only a 2 wire lead set as i think it uses 25A test current.

Maybe check the Megger website?

thanks

there might be a 3 lead, but im testing tomorrow morning! just trying my house at the moment!

Ever done any 2 wire RCD or Zs testing?

You cant do 2 wire RCD testing as far as i know.

2 wire Zs test is between live & earth only but its test current is around 25 amps and will take out any most MCB's under that.

You really need to try and get the 3 wire set to be able to perform the no trip loop test.

im pretty sure it does 3 wire testing as well but i dont have the leads for it. Also when i spoke to megger they said i only needed 3 wire for phase rotation 3 phase testing. They said you can test the rcd on radial without sockets on with the 2 wire but i cant remember how.

have tried a couple of ways but nothing working.

thanks people, if all else fails look at the manual!

all sorted.

the 2 wire does work for the Zs test black clamp on earth red clamp on live.

the 2 wire rcd test works when you press the type button on the tester to change it to the dc sensitive option.

Hopefully will work tomorrow on the job.

cheers anyway!

A Zs test is between the line conductor and the cpc, A rcd test creates an imbalance between either of the live conductors and cpc therefore why do you need or want a three probe test ?????

line - cpc , trust me it will work.

Reply to CM500 2 wire testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock