Discuss CO monitor in extension. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am unused to putting in CO monitors and have just realised that one is required as there is going to be a log burner in situ.
With smoke alarms these need to be mains and linked. Can I use a battery CO?
When I had my chimney fitted, the chap was a registered installer (part J I think) and was happy with a battery one.

Just checked with Aico and a battery operated is fine as long as the battery is designed to outlive the unit.
You can even have a battery operated one radio linked to the smokes!
I'm now going on a free training course with Aico:)

Cheers guys (and lady). Heaved a big sigh of relief when I got off the phone to Aico as the new plasterboard is already up and getting new cables in would have not gone down well!

I checked a couple of years ago with Aico about linking CO with smoke/heat and they told me that their alarms could not differentiate between events. ie, the smokes/heats make a different tone to the CO, but each alarm will only make their own tone in any type of event. There would be no way to distinguish between a CO event and a fire event throughout the system by the sound made.

I fitted a battery one.

Either use a control switch or interlink CO detectors separately from the smokes/heats. Different responses are required for smoke and CO detection.

I'm fitting Aico 10 year battery detectors tomorrow with the radiolink interconnect. 2 x smoke, 2 x co and 1 heat. I'll let you know how easy they are and how easy to "house code" them.

ref #2 I'm thinking of going on the Aico training course as well, but as i'm not a member of any schemes, I cant be included on their partner list (but I can still get the course for free)

I registered with the Aico website and received some documentation in the post. Pretty useful information.

Pretty sure AICO have just launched a combined heat and smoke detector, handy for kitchens with boilers in for rentals I guess. Not fitted one yet though.
My Gas safe guy just fits standalone battery CO detectors, simple cheap and compliant.

Aico do a combined heat/co alarm. Ive also signed up for the aico experts installer training but bot heard nothing back in 6months, maybe its just a myth they run and looks good that they say they run one! I do love aico btw but disapponted they dont get back to you.
I always advise clients to screw the battery co alarm to a wall in the room. I belive this comes under the HETAS solid fuel ticket but could be wrong on that

Update on fitting all battery detectors (my post #11)

I was to replace 1 x 20 year old smoke detector (complete with a 9v battery dated 2015) in the downstairs hallway and a basic CO alarm in the garage for the boiler.
New smoke for here, and another on the landing. Heat detector in the kitchen. Replacement CO in the garage,a nd a new CO in the lounge as there's a coal fire.

Very quick to fit. Just fix the base up with screws, and rotate detector into base to click. Handy if you can find the ceiling joists.
The smoke and heat footprints are slightly smaller than the old smokey I took down, so theres a little painting to tidy up, but at least it covered the old screwholes.

Press and hold the button on the radiolink module one at a time, and each detector connects to each other. The detectors stay in Housecode mode for 30 minutes so plenty time to set them up.

Testing is a 2-person job... but I managed on my own as it was a empty house with no ambient sounds
Tested the detector in the middle of the house and listened as the others started beeping one at a time building up the noise to almost a constant screeching.

The CO detectors also had Audiolink technology. You can set the detector to emit a coded series of loud beeps that a phone app can record, decode and give you information on how many times the detector has been set off. (either through test, or by detected CO)
Think of a 1980's computer loading from a cassette but at the same volume as the detectors' beeping noise.

The difficult bit is trying to convince customers that spending money on these detectors every 10 years is worth it when they can buy a basic one from a supermarket for 20 quid

Reply to CO monitor in extension. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net