Discuss CO2 Alarms: Whose Responsibility? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
Hi there.

Two questions:

If I was doing a full domestic rewire and there was a gas/wood burner present, would I have to fit a CO2 alarm in the room to conform with BS5839-6?

This is something I've just thought about on a kitchen job, where the customer has had a woodburner installed in the sitting room .... the stove installers haven't done anything about fitting a CO2 alarm yet .... I could be casting aspersions here as they might not be finished, but it got me wondering. So the second question is, is it the responsibility of the stove installers when a stove is fitted (or do they have to involve an electrical person) Sorry that's three question?

Thanks for any advice.

I would say that that's the stove installers responsibility.
A CO2 alarm is required, it's in the Building regs...somewhere!
Notifiable work.

It should be a Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:
A CO alarm as in Carbon monoxide, is the responsibility of the home owner, you can advise to fit but cannot insist.....only Building control or LA can force installation, but it is not a legal requirement to install a CO detector in the UK, and certainly has nothing to do with BS5839 Part 6. CO alarms come under EN50291 Part 2 2010

Last edited:
Doh! Of course NOT CO2, sorry!

Thankyou guys.

So - just to clarify - even if there were no CO detector present - there is no requirement when undertaking a full rewire to install a CO detector where there is a solid fuel burning stove in a room?

I would probably advise that it should be installed, in a covering letter with the Cert .....

The Landlords we work for now fit carbon monoxide detectors wherever this is a coal fire or log burner.
A landlord has a duty of care, so is required to fit a co under LA rules....normal domestic dwelling there is not regs to insist on a co detector being installed...but it is advise that one is fitted. So all you can do is advise, there are no regs to show

just highjacking this thread , when i was about 17/18 i was fitting some cond. box lids above a rack of 12 co2 cylinder in an arc furnace mg room and caught the trip wire and set the lot off never seen people run so fast

just highjacking this thread , when i was about 17/18 i was fitting some cond. box lids above a rack of 12 co2 cylinder in an arc furnace mg room and caught the trip wire and set the lot off never seen people run so fast
Seen that done a few times on FM200 and the old Argon gas Suppression systems, can be quiet dangerous.......but is funny...!!
Good video is a airport hanger foam test...take a look, you wont want to set this off by accident...lol
AFFF Foam Test Ellsworth AFB POL - YouTube

If building control aren't involved I can't see there being a law. For example if you do a rewire, you don't HAVE to fit sockets and switches between 450mm and 1200mm do you?? That's in the building regs part m but it doesn't mean you have to do it on a rewire. Don't get me wrong I would recommend a CO alarm to the client though. At the end of the day its up to them.

Reply to CO2 Alarms: Whose Responsibility? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net