Discuss code query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just done a EICR. good installation, approx. 10 years old. 16th ed.split board, lighting circuits non-RCD, on TT earthing. my query is this:
the Zs readings are high, due to the high Ze, insofar as , e.g. lighting circuits on 6A MCB each have a Zs higher than the max. permissible . should I C2 the high Zs readings, or give it a "pass" with a C3? your thoughts, gentlemen (and ladies).

I'd C2 that Tel, unusual to find that as back then the split board on a TT install would generally have a 100ma protecting the lighting circuits. It's definitely potentially dangerous as any metal switch or light fitting could have a fair voltage appearing under fault conditions while the MCB thinks about tripping.

I'd C2 that Tel, unusual to find that as back then the split board on a TT install would generally have a 100ma protecting the lighting circuits. It's definitely potentially dangerous as any metal switch or light fitting could have a fair voltage appearing under fault conditions while the MCB thinks about tripping.
yeah, i had to give a C2, if only to cover my back. a solution would be to replace the 2 6A MCBs with RCBOs. saves the cost of a new CU.

it's a landlord. he might go for the RCBO solution. i'll be back in a few days to replace a busted shower pull switch so i can give him a price. it's then up to him.

What else is on the non rcd side? Why not install main switch rcd s type instead of 2x rcbos?

You can't do an upgrade albeit an improvement that would still not comply with the current regs, after all there are bound to be bathroom lights & switch wires in walls at less than 50mm depth that now require 30ma ?!

Is there a main switch s type rcd.? If so then NO code (depending on how high the result is) if no main switch rcd then i would be c2.
You MUST code missing 30mA additional protection where it is now required. But absolutely if there is no means of achieving earth fault protection then the installation has a potentially dangerous defect so C3 would be wholly inappropriate for that.

What else is on the non rcd side? Why not install main switch rcd s type instead of 2x rcbos?
on the non-RCD side are 3 MCBs. 2 lights and 1 smokes. there's small reason to have 2 lighting circuits as its a 1 bed flat, all on 1 floor. i'm going to suggest 2 x 30mA RCBOs and maybe piggy back the smokes from 1 of the light circuits. this will also make the buried cables compliant and the lack of RCD protection for bathroom fan and lights ( shower is on RCD side, and supp bonding in place, so I gave that bit a C3 ).

Would those RCBO's need to be DP or switched N.
No, there is no requirement. The main switch will provide all pole isolation to the installation. (That isn't to say that it mightn't be desirable - just that it's not required.)

Reply to code query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock