Discuss Code regarding main and branch breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m looking to add a GFCI breaker to my main panel. I have several open slots and have not reached the circuit capacity of my panel. However, the main breaker is not located at the top of the panel. See picture. Is there any reason (code or otherwise) I can’t locate a circuit breaker above the main breaker? Electrically speaking, any breaker would be downstream of the main breaker regardless of its physical location, right?
8FD93FA2-6A06-4BA0-BEC3-CC1142F171EE.jpeg

I’m looking to add a GFCI breaker to my main panel. I have several open slots and have not reached the circuit capacity of my panel. However, the main breaker is not located at the top of the panel. See picture. Is there any reason (code or otherwise) I can’t locate a circuit breaker above the main breaker? Electrically speaking, any breaker would be downstream of the main breaker regardless of its physical location, right?
View attachment 54659
DoubleAbrew it looks to me like it used to be on top if you look at the top stab on the right it looks a little burnt. There is no reference that it has to be on top or bottom or anywhere in the panel as long as the wires feeding the panel from the meter. Caution if you want to relocate it the meter must be pulled so contact your local power company. You will get in trouble if you cut that seal, only a licensed electrician can do that and we have to call the power company before and after. Good luck and welcome to the forum

DoubleAbrew it looks to me like it used to be on top if you look at the top stab on the right it looks a little burnt. There is no reference that it has to be on top or bottom or anywhere in the panel as long as the wires feeding the panel from the meter. Caution if you want to relocate it the meter must be pulled so contact your local power company. You will get in trouble if you cut that seal, only a licensed electrician can do that and we have to call the power company before and after. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Thank you Megawatt. I was hoping to avoid moving the main breaker so no problem there. Being that code is primarily about safety, that is my main interest. Just making sure I did as much due diligence as possible. Cheers!

Thank you Megawatt. I was hoping to avoid moving the main breaker so no problem there. Being that code is primarily about safety, that is my main interest. Just making sure I did as much due diligence as possible. Cheers!
You done the right thing, if you don’t ask you will never learn. In my opinion you are perfectly fine and safe where that breaker is now. If you need any more advice you know where to get an answer. Have a great day and good luck

Reply to Code regarding main and branch breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net