Discuss coffee machine on a timer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

moe

hi.. just wondering what would be the best way to do this... the coffee machine is on a 240 supply with a radial circuit going to it on a 32 amp breaker, with a double pole switch at the end.. the customer has asked if i can put this on a timer to come on half an hour before they get into the shop??...
thanks

timmer controled contactor is the any real way to do it if it is such a heavy load,but you should check Zs to see if you can put it on a C type breaker in case of it pulls alot first thing

Whats the electrical requirements? Is that radial circuit suppling only the coffee machine? Ive seen a large commercial coffee machine that was 2KW. In such case an immersion heater timer would be fine. For larger loads you could use timer to switch a Relay contactor. or timed contactor. If your not sure of supply then clamp it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks... not sure of the load just had a quick look at it on the way home, am going back tomorrow... was thinking of a relay contactor and a switch, not 100% on how to wire it in, any help?

not to sure on the csa yet, just had a quick look and now it is powered off a phase of a 3 phase system on a 32 amp radial so pretty sure it's pulling quite a bit... the installation is also new so pretty sure the correct mcb was asigned.. sorry for pretty crap info, should have taken a better look.. just needed a bit of help on this one.. anyone with any wiring the contacto and the switch info would be apreciated..
thanks

It probably is about 30 ish amps they pull a hell of a lot of juice especially if its the bulk brew kind with 2 urns built in,

I gotta go with time clock and contactor. only question would be, why does a coffee machine need to co on a timer??

It probably is about 30 ish amps they pull a hell of a lot of juice especially if its the bulk brew kind with 2 urns built in,

I gotta go with time clock and contactor. only question would be, why does a coffee machine need to co on a timer??

The load can be quite high on these machines, separate boilers for water and steam, elements for the cup-warmer (maybe the reason for the timer).

The load can be quite high on these machines, separate boilers for water and steam, elements for the cup-warmer (maybe the reason for the timer).

A lot of commercial coffee machines are 3ph so the do pull a bit!

I understand why they want it on a timer but most machines require turning on( timer) and then various buttins pressing etc etc before they warm up so i dont see how the timer can help

Most timers are 13amp limit. So if the coffee machine is nuclear powered then you will need it to switch the contactor. Also having a separate timer makes it more user friendly for the customer. Can easy change switch times themselves.

thanks for all the replys. going to go with the contactor and timer but would do with a little on contecting it etc.. not done one of these before..

They're quite simple really.
You break the cable feeding the coffee machine where convenient, put the cable away into the appropriate sides of the contactor, may have to extend the cable to do this.
Take an unswitched feed for power to the timer, and then a switched feed back to the contactor to the appropriate terminals.
Your timer is going to have to be suitable to switch whatever voltage is required to operate the contactor.

I would be morally opposed to putting a timer on a coffee machine. Certain critical appliances should be left on continuously in case of an emergency :)

Rather than putting a timer and a new contactor on the electrical supply why not look at installing a timer internally in the machine and using it to break the supply to the existing heater element control contactor. You can easily do this at the pressure switch if it's a cappuccino machine. They can then just leave the machine on all night and it won't consume power (apart from the odd indicator lamp maybe).

Last edited:

Reply to coffee machine on a timer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net