Discuss Coffin DNO cutout in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

omega

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help with this little question? I'm just about to do a full rewire on a domestic dwelling and have come across a DNO cutout I've not seen before. It's an ISCO cutout with a fused Neutral. I've done some checking on the forum earlier and from what I can gather, these can sometimes contain asbestos? My question is this; does the cutout need changing by the DNO in order to certificate the job? Obviously the details of the cutout need to be noted on the Electrical installation cert, however, I'm not sure with this one. Any help would
be much appreciated. I've attached pic of the said culprit.
Coffin DNO cutout 20131108_150907 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes get DNO out, you can't have a fuse in the neutral anyway, never mind the asbestos. Tell the DNO that it has been smelling of burning electric, and the homeowner has been complaining about lights dimming or some other excuse, they should bung another one in with no problems. But whatever happens don't you bugger about with it.

Cheers………….Howard

I dont think the neutral is fused as surely that would make the iron casing the same size as the live casing???? I think its just for connection purposes. I could be very wrong though. Either way, I would do as others have said and ring DNO, they will/should change it for free.

Jay

as above. and if i'm right, it's got a BS951 making a TN-S, just visible at the bottom of the pic. DNO will replace the cut-out and fit proper earthing.

entry number 2 in the little black book. :svengo:

All donations gratefully received! If you can save the head / cutout intact, drop me a line by PM or email and I'll sort out with you to post them or pick up or whatever. Asbestos isn't likely to be a problem unless you start smashing the fuse carrier to bits, or there might not be any at all anyway.

Always a few beers up for grabs, for anyone who gets us interesting old stuff, especially DNO's gear which we are very short of.

And then there was the loaded hearse driving up West Street on its way to the crem.

Now West street was quite a steep hill and was paved with cobble stones which could be quite slippery when wet and on this day it had been raining.

Anyway, about half way up the hill the driver missed a gear and the hearse jerked, the back door flew open and the loaded coffin slid out and proceeded feet end first like a bob-sled down West Street.

At the bottom of West Street, there is a T-Junction and the bob-sled ( sorry, coffin ) wasn't going to give way to anything and shot straight across, up onto the pavement on the opposite side. It then smashed through the door of the chemist shop and came to a sudden stop when it collided with the counter.

The coffin lid then flew off and the corpse - due to the sudden stop - sat bolt upright and said to the very startled young lady behind the counter .......

.................. excuse me Miss........

............. Can you give me something to stop me coffin?

( Ok .. I'll slide back over to "the other side" and irritate them for a bit )

Reply to Coffin DNO cutout in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock