Discuss colour blindness ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

clayton13

Hi there, I just want to run a question past you guys, i want to start training as an electrician but i'm concerned about the rules regarding colour blindness, i am colour blind but i feel this shouldnt be a problem ( Should it ? )

Will i be asked to pass a colour blindness test at any point ?

Are there any colour blind electricians on this forum ?

Regards

Steve

I suppose it would depend on what colours you can't see or have a problem with. If it's brown, grey, black, blue then I'd say you'll have a fairly major problem

Oh and yes, im through ETT in NI and the colour blind test was cumplsory...

Any colour problems and you were not allowed to proceed. I would imagine it would make your job really difficult?

I mate of mine has pretty much monochrome vision, when he left school his dad set him up with an apprenticeship as a spark. Luckily he managed to swap it for wood butchery.

i've never had any problems in general everyday life, i can see all colours fine, i can grap a pill of wires and pick any colour out but ifi try the colourblindness test i can't see all the numbers mixed up in the group of dots.

i guess i'll see when i find a course local.

Hi there, I just want to run a question past you guys, i want to start training as an electrician but i'm concerned about the rules regarding colour blindness, i am colour blind but i feel this shouldnt be a problem ( Should it ? )

Will i be asked to pass a colour blindness test at any point ?

Are there any colour blind electricians on this forum ?

Regards

Steve

http://www.------.org/factfiles/health/colourdefects-page.cfm?type=pdf

I'm colour blind, brown looks green, but it's usually obvious as there's either a blue with it or black and grey, it's only red if it's got a single black. Blue purple and pink a look the same.

i manage fine, even though hedgehogs look green and the grass looks orange.

So long as you can identify if it's brown or red that's fine even if they look the same as by a process of ilimination, if you don't know if it's brown or red, if it's got a black with it on its own it's going to be red and if it's got a blue one it's going to be brown.

But it it's got a solid yellow too then it's going to be red and old colors.

i've never had any problems in general everyday life

How much things have to be accommodated can often depend on whether it's formally classed as a disability or not. What you've said there more or less defines the fact that your level of colour blindness wouldn't be counted as a disability. I think.

So long as you can identify if it's brown or red that's fine even if they look the same as by a process of ilimination, if you don't know if it's brown or red, if it's got a black with it on its own it's going to be red and if it's got a blue one it's going to be brown.

But it it's got a solid yellow too then it's going to be red and old colors.
You're screwed if you're wiring with singles though.

I'm colour blind, brown looks green, but it's usually obvious as there's either a blue with it or black and grey, it's only red if it's got a single black. Blue purple and pink a look the same.

i manage fine, even though hedgehogs look green and the grass looks orange.

Ive misunderstood how this works then then, how my training trust explained it to me was if you were colour blind at allthen you couldnt continue with them, i think its great that you can still do the job if its not too severe. Seems some training organisations must be more lenient than others.

One of the first things I had done by the DNO I started off with was a medical and a check for colour blindness , if I didn't pass then I was looking elsewhere for a job,,

Colour Blindness Par se should not be an issue to you wanting to be an Electrician, if you can distinguish the colours you need to then your fine just always ensure you have good lighting, head torches etc for poor lighting conditions as this will be your weakness... Green/Yellow is striped now because green and red were often confused by people with some forms of colour blindness and we used to have a lad work for us and not once did it lead to problems ...he made mistakes but no more than anyone else on the learning curve.

Please ignore the arrogance of some responses thinking having colour blindness means you must be having a laugh wanting to be an Electrician TBH its shows more about their ignorance to the real world and hope you go for it and forget the worries.... only you will know if your form of Colour Blindness will be an issue but if you can distinguish all the colours we deal with from each other then your home free.

Reply to colour blindness ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net