Discuss Combi Boiler In Zone 1! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Wotsit

I have been asked to perform a pir on a property i know (belongs to my girlfriend) as we have tennents moveing in. My main concern is that a combi boiler is fitted in zone one. This was fitted about 4 years ago by a local plumbing firm.

How do you suggest i go about the rectification of this with the plumbing firm. They have just issued a landlords safey certificate.

It was intresting that they noted a undersized bonding conductor on the incomming gas but nothing about the boiler location.

No, the manufactures instlation instructions reccomend a clearance that would put the cupboard over the bath just where your chest would be if you were lying there.

At the monent you can look up and see the underside of the boier if you are in the bath

Last edited by a moderator:
Wotsit, areyou saying that the combi boiler is in zone 1; within a shower enclosure or is directly over a Bath ??????

spark1

Yes , sorry, I never worded that very well I was trying to confirm that wotsit had his zones correctly identified,,,,from his last post he has verified that.

My answer to the o.p. is to issue the P.I.R. with a code 1 on the boiler. It must be classed as Electrical equipment as it contains electrical parts therefore it requires IP X4 minimum....I take it the supply circuit is Rcd protected otherwise a Code 1 or 2 would be applicable also...either way " unsatisfactory on the Report...and send the Plumbers a copy asking for their comments.

spark1

It was intresting that they noted a undersized bonding conductor on the incomming gas but nothing about the boiler location.

That is probably because their electrical regs knowlege may not extend to zones and suitability of equipment

If its due to lack of space then a shower may hve to be fitted instead of the bath
What plumbers get up to, it sometimes beggars belief

Do you think that the company that fitted it should, move it as the installation was incorrect? If so what do you think my course of action should be? I doubt a phone call the the installers detailing my concerns will suffice.

Its a code 1 in, as in all off the above posts,
Whats the date of the installation ?,
What certificates did you get when it was installed ?
Was it a replacement boiler ?
Did anybody agree to the boiler being fitted in that position in the first place ?

When all said and done its still a code 1 in my book

Have you looked into the manufactureres instrustiions for the boiler? Is it suitable for purpose, ie does it have an IP rating?

I agree its a Code 1.

How high are your ceilings? If the boiler is above 3m then it's outside of all zones.
(I think, correct me if I'm wrong)

Mark

Its a code 1 in, as in all off the above posts,
Whats the date of the installation ?,
What certificates did you get when it was installed ?
Was it a replacement boiler ?
Did anybody agree to the boiler being fitted in that position in the first place ?

When all said and done its still a code 1 in my book

The date of instlation was around four years ago.

It was a new instlation.

There is a mass of paperwork, with a safety certificate for each year

My girlfriend agreed to the location of instllation but how was she to know?

I agree its a Code 1.

How high are your ceilings? If the boiler is above 3m then it's outside of all zones.
(I think, correct me if I'm wrong)

Mark

Boiler is about 35 cm above bath rim. The supply is non rcd. The fused spur is level with the bath rim, about 20 cm back from where you head is.

I would take a photo but we have tennents in there

Have you looked into the manufactureres instrustiions for the boiler? Is it suitable for purpose, ie does it have an IP rating?

Yes,

It is not sutable for instllation in a location containing a bath or shower. There is no IP raiting

It's definately a code1 and it is something that will have to be rectified ASAP. That would surely make any insurance you have on the property invalid. I'd phone the company up that installed it and threaten to name and shame them unless they move it. Might help!

Mark

If you have the original installation certificate with the installers contact details on then you first phone call is to them.

If no joy then you should phone Corgi.

unfortunatly i doubt if after 4 years anyone will take responsibility even though it was wrong at the time
how hard would it be to have it moved or a shorter bath and then a cupd

It would involve,

Re routing the gas, electricty, water, flue. Then the redecoration :mad: all in all major work.

If you have the original installation certificate with the installers contact details on then you first phone call is to them.

If no joy then you should phone Corgi.

Think i will do that monday morning, not looking foward to that. Do corgi still exist thought that had changed

Reply to Combi Boiler In Zone 1! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock