Discuss Combing two lamps using 1 Plug in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife has purchased two vanity mirror lights from Ikea (Musik) which are both fitted with a 3a plug.

Combing two lamps using 1 Plug fil - EletriciansForums.net

Each of the lights has an on/off toggle switch like most lamps. Is it possible to have both light comes on using the one switch/plug?

I had thought it would be straight forward enough but would like to get a seconds opinion. I thought this could be a possible solution?

Combing two lamps using 1 Plug file-12 - EletriciansForums.net

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks again,
Aidan

ideal solution is to replace the single socket with a twin. then plug each light separately

ideal solution is to replace the single socket with a twin. then plug each light separately

... with one these?

I think the issue was that the OP wanted both lights controlled by 1 switch only.
I cant see a problem if the joint is made correctly in an enclosure.

A few thoughts:

Looking at your diagram am I right in assuming that you want each light to be either side of a mirror, with one switch two turn the lights on?

Is this mirror in a bathroom or above a sink, because by the way the lights are wired my guess is they are not designed for bathroom use.

To save modifying the lights to achieve what you want, it would be better to do as telextrix has suggested and use a double socket to power both lights. If you want to switch them both on at the same time then you can use a single switch to turn on the power to double socket which could be unswitched. However this probably need some modification to your house wiring.

If you want to avoid any professional involvement from an electrician the simplest solution would be to plug the lights into a short two gang extension lead. This way one plug socket would switch on both lights. Leave the inline switches permanently on and use the plug socket switch as the 'master'.

Anything neater would probably involve getting a more expensive fitting and permanently wiring it in.

Thank you all for your contributions - very much appreciated.

The light is for a bedroom dressing room area. Sockets are not a constraint as we have ample sockets available, its more the convenience of being able to turn on both lights using the one toggle switch, instead of reaching over both sides of the dressing table to turn on individually. I was hoping to avoid using extension lead.

I guess i am seeking reassurance i am not doing anything that could jeopardise health and safety!

Again thank you for contributions!:clapping:

Reply to Combing two lamps using 1 Plug in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock