Discuss Combining two sets of 3 way switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DeWill

DIY
Reaction score
Greetings - I am seeking guidance on consolidating two sets of 3 way switches (4 switches) that control two separate lights. The builder/homeowner decided to install a switch at the top of the stairway and midway that controls a light at the top of the stairs. There's also a switch at the bottom of the stairs and midway that controls a light at the bottom of the stairs. With my limited knowledge I have been able to eliminate the two switches midway of the stairs but I am unable to get the switch at the top of the stair to control the light at the bottom of the stairs. I will attach a very poor illustration of what I have going on for better clarity. Please review and let me know this is even possible. The switch on the left is at the top of the stairs

Combining two sets of 3 way switches 20191211_105934 - EletriciansForums.net

So,are the midway switches,two intermediate switches?

The drawing and colours,could do with a tad of refinement ;)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The midway switches are regular 3 way. I have updated my pic, although it may be worse though... please forgive me.

Attachments

• Combining two sets of 3 way switches 20191212_051904 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191212_051904.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 17
Okay made a collage of two pics from online. I want to eliminate the two middle switches and control the 2 lights with the switch switches at the top and bottom of the stairs only

Attachments

• Combining two sets of 3 way switches 20191212_113321 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191212_113321.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 10
Right then,so your drawing shows one light at the top of the stairs,with switches strapped at top and midway. It shows one light at the bottom,with switches at bottom and midway.

You show two feeds (sources),which will need attending to,as all lights and switching,will need to be from one fusing.

Your strappers going to each midway switches,will need to continue past each other,and end up at the top and bottom,to switch the lights at opposite ends.

Either way,you will need to run in more cables,including any additional earthing or grounding.

An alternative,would be to have the two midway switches join,and have one switch at the top and bottom,strapped to switch both lights on/off.

Right then,so your drawing shows one light at the top of the stairs,with switches strapped at top and midway. It shows one light at the bottom,with switches at bottom and midway.

You show two feeds (sources),which will need attending to,as all lights and switching,will need to be from one fusing.

Your strappers going to each midway switches,will need to continue past each other,and end up at the top and bottom,to switch the lights at opposite ends.

Either way,you will need to run in more cables,including any additional earthing or grounding.

An alternative,would be to have the two midway switches join,and have one switch at the top and bottom,strapped to switch both lights on/off.
It sounds like you have two 4 way switches. The middle ones just tie the wires together, when you open the middle ones you should have 4 wires so just make joints in the boxes and put a blank cover on them

Reply to Combining two sets of 3 way switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock