Discuss Comments advice on report after having Electrical inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys

As discussed in http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ing-light-switch-4-wires-2-red-2-black-2.html I have just had the report back from my electrical inspection and just wondered if you could comment/advise on what he has said and whether it all needs doing, and if price sounds right?

Copy of report attached as PDF file

View attachment 4944

You have no earth on your lights.

Reverse polarity on garage sockets?

Sockets not protected by RCD

Circuits not labelled

Gas and water pipes are not bonded

Earthing conductor should be 16mm

Price depends on nature of your property....how many lights...special fittings etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, no mate. i would have been lower on the lights rewire but a bit higher on the CU change. horses for courses, as they say at newbury. then again, difficult to price correctly without seeing. he could have the place full of junk, or it could be void. makes a hell of a difference.

Last edited:
LOL, no mate. i would have been lower on the lights rewire but a bit higher on the CU change. horses for courses, as they say at newbury.

Looking at lights quote myself its only a 2 bed bungalow from further inspection. As already stated depends what fittings etc are being replaced.

didn't see the bungalow bit. open loft and conduit drops for switches , be quite a bit less £45/point would be my quote ( counting switches as a point )

Just noticed that the earth rod is giving a value of 0.22 ohms Ra!!!!!

Think he'll have to increase that 4mm earth cable back to the MET..lol!!! That's better than a TN-S or PME max value. What's the OP got there, a full ground mat/field??

Thanks for all your replies - what is your opinion on getting it done, I have only just bought house so money is tight, need I do it all? are lights without earth that dangerous? (all plastic switches anyway)

the same chap also did check at my mum's house with quite a more expensive list of repairs needed, quote below as PDF - perhaps you wouldn't all mind giving opinion on this too - as she has just been made redundant and quote is nearly 3K - so she is a bit concerned about it all

View attachment mum.pdf

Im going to be picky now lol cause i feel grumpy , reading the report , means of earthing ,can only be one : earth rod or suppliers earth ,both ticked , nominal voltage 247 v, i thought it was 230 v ,15 amp rewireable on 1 mm ,bit high , 1 mm cable 1mm cpc on lighting circuit ,didnt think it had an earth and marked in remarks no cpc !! sockets since whens a 3036 been an RCD ,operating times are entered ,

the same chap also did check at my mum's house with quite a more expensive list of repairs needed, quote below as PDF - perhaps you wouldn't all mind giving opinion on this too - as she has just been made redundant and quote is nearly 3K - so she is a bit concerned about it all

View attachment 4945

Alot more work on this one, looks like a full rewire....I think prices can be beaten and you should get other quotes.

A quote should not accompany a PIR, get a different person to do the remedial works.

As for the report:

No cpc's on lighting is code 2 (ESC BPG04)
Sockets on a lighting circuit is a code 4 as there is no real risk, the fuse would blow.
Sockets on a 5A fuse - no code at all its not a deviation.
No MPBC code 1 not 2
Shower circuit in 6mm is fine Overload would blow the fuse
Disconnected cable in CU code 3 OK
RCD protection Code 4 unless likely to be used outside Code 2
Fuse board complies No code
Not 100% sure about last 1 they are either labelled or not, what identification to cpc's other than sleeved and in correct order - not rocket science in a House wit T&E

Very strange that ALL the R1+R2+ZE are perfectly equal to ZS - not likely!
Maximum recognised IR value shod be >299
I guess there is no telephone or shaver socket in the house.
No requirement for danger notices - so cannot fail on that.
What choice or protective device setting is required?
What is wrong with VD?
Particular protective measures should be at least a LIM as it is a requirement of the 17th
No light switches I see!
No values for ring continuity - is there a ring circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
A quote should not accompany a PIR, get a different person to do the remedial works.

As for the report:

I guess there is no telephone or shaver socket in the house.
No values for ring continuity - is there a ring circuit?

yes there is several telephone points but no shaver socket

how would I know if it has a ring circuit? it is a 1960's ex- council house if that helps or not?

Not nessacerily so , Providing all accessories and light fittings are plastic , R1 R2 + Ze calc. spot on ! not the case in the real world = my opimion

I agree that if all fittings are plastic and it complies with the regs when it was installed its only an advisory. But lets face it, it needs to be updated and it needs a cpc.

Reply to Comments advice on report after having Electrical inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net