Discuss Comments - Full Rewire Required - C1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi All,

A top quality EICR report attached.

I'm detecting an increase in opportunists looking to scare the bejesus out of landlords in particular. This report is utter crap. Everything ticked or N/A on the inspection schedules to suggest all is satisfactory but then some belter C1's in observations, including 'Full Rewire Required". Same chap uses scaremongering of the likes of 'hefty fines or even imprisonment' for negligent landlords, and was offering EICR's for as little as £75 including VAT at one point.

I'm to visit the site this morning to try and get a sense of it. The same chap has already upgraded the consumer unit but does it need a rewire? I mean 'Resistance values low for all circuits?' - I take it he means IR but schedule of test results indicate all OK. What will I find.

I feel something should happen to stop this sort of carry on - but what?

Attachments

• EICR Redacted.pdf
    486.5 KB · Views: 94
The test results are very unusual. 0.62 on all socket circuits. The 2.85 for the lighting is also in the wrong column? No mention of the C2 etc. re the problems observed in the schedule of checks either. Very poorly constructed. What is the history of this EICR, how is it in your hands.

He comments about the shower cable being undersized but says nothing about the 32A radial wired in 2.5mm. As for underrated cables being C1s.. unless they have melted and have exposed live conductors they are a C2.

As you say, IR values look fine, if they are in fact representative. No earth to lighting circuit... clearly lists 1.5mm, there is no way it won't have a CPC conductor.

Rubber cables... nice if it's true and definitely warrants a rewire, but the fact he's listed 'FULL REWIRE REQUIRED' as a C1 issue on the report gives me an indication of his ethics... looks to be trying it on with everyone.

Get in there and take a look... I suspect there probably isn't much wrong unless there really is rubber cable, but as Vortigern has pointed out some of the results look dodge so it's probably a drive by.

And of course give us an update later. As for doing something about it... conduct a reasonable amount of testing and take some detailed notes and drop trading standards a message if his report is wildy different to what you actually find.

The test results are very unusual. 0.62 on all socket circuits. The 2.85 for the lighting is also in the wrong column? No mention of the C2 etc. re the problems observed in the schedule of checks either. Very poorly constructed. What is the history of this EICR, how is it in your hands.

It's in my hands because the customer is quite rightly concerned by the quality of the report, and has a tenant who is not keen on the disruption of a full rewire (can you do it room by room without making a mess and within 3 days?).

So the landlord has lost faith in this electrician and is trying again. I'm going shortly to have a look 'free of charge' so I won't be there long. I'll probably have a quick look at the new consumer unit, and take the cover off if they'll let me (concerns over undersized cables), and look at the earthing.

I'm thinking I'll have to insist on a new EICR before anything else....

Astonishing the shower is in 2.5, hard to believe really. The lights test looks like a lamp has been left in or something like that. Interesting to see what you find out when you do have a look.

Last edited:
Quick update after a quick visit. Test kit stayed in the van. Client suggested himself that we should start again with a new EICR - which I'll do on Monday. Couldn't do it today.

Biggest cable in there is 4mm. Yes there is some aluminium in the light circuits at least. Shower is 9.5kW so that circuit at least to be rewired. Couldn't see any rubber. Some circuits were left disconnected.

Impressions are (without testing) that at least a partial rewire is required and with perhaps the remaining circuits fit for continued use but would benefit from the upgrade when practicable (which is not now). But I'm guessing.

It was definitely a fly-by inspection/consumer unit changeout, all done in one go, half an hour of testing, a couple of hours for the board change and away. The document seems to be a hybrid EIC/EICR.

Question is - do I dare post up my EICR on here?

On another note - EICR's can only be a good thing for landlords, tenants and electrical safety. The landlord gives me the impression that he cares about electrical safety but had no reason to suspect anything was unsafe.

Attachments

• IMG_2344 1.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 64

Reply to Comments - Full Rewire Required - C1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net