Discuss Comments. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baggy61

Evening gents,
Called yesterday to change a broken fcu.On completion checked zs, 115 ohms. Cut out had no earth clamp on lead (pilcsta), but I found 10mm G/Y going into block paving. The lady had a board change in 2010 by scottish & southern With ze given as 6.5 ohms. Did a ze via lead sheath & got o.35. I spoke to s&s who sent someone to look today . They said earths not our responsibility ( I Know) most sparkies would just put a clamp on the lead & say nowt.
Any comments as to why it might have been tt'd in the past, next door tns & 3 ohms and how EFLI can go from 6.5 to 114 ohms in 3years.
Regards.

I'd guess the cert for the board change would have the earth down as a TT. If they've not supplied an earth in the past then it's not down to them to provide one now and simply putting a clamp on it doesn't make it so.
I certainly wouldn't "just put a clamp on it and say nowt"
The change could have occurred for any amount of reasons, you say the cable disappears below some block paving. Who's to say that the pavers haven't done something to dislodge the rod or the connection to it.

did you check ze with bonding wires disconnected the zs reading you got maybe through bonds as trev says you dont know what is hiding under the paving

did you check ze with bonding wires disconnected the zs reading you got maybe through bonds as trev says you dont know what is hiding under the paving
Did,nt check with bonding disconnected as it would have given a higher z.Could n't find water bond, but gas was there.
Put a clamp on & say nowt wasn't my suggestion. It just seems odd to find a tt surrounded by tns but maybe a joint breaking down sometime caused a bad earth & someone tested at the right time & decided to tt it or possibly the jointer forgot to fit the clamp in the first place.
Guess I'll have to dig up paviers.
Thanks for comments gents

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you have to do the Ze test with the main earth disconnected, so you don't get incorrect readings through parallel paths?

Is it possible this dry spell we have had has changed the conductivity of surrounding earth. .Was the rod installed during all that rainy weather we have had.

well, it's under the patio, and we can't contact the original installer. fred west is dead.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you have to do the Ze test with the main earth disconnected, so you don't get incorrect readings through parallel paths?
Quite right but as z was surprisingly high not low thats not the issue and as it was a late call & I was just changing fcu I just wanted to check earth cont & op of protective devices

Is it possible this dry spell we have had has changed the conductivity of surrounding earth. .Was the rod installed during all that rainy weather we have had.
Dunno, thats why I posted but it seems a big change doesn't it ?.
Just curious as to what others have done in these circumstances. I know it 1553 ohms short of not tripping rcd but I was taught any thing over !00 was to be considered unstable& should be rectified, not by p...ing on rod :teeth_smile:
Regards.

Reply to Comments. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock