Discuss Commercial EICR - Your opinion? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Being doing a commercial EICR over night (7-7) for the past week, still got a good few nights to go.

The installation is most likely 40-50 years old, was originally done well. About 5 years ago they had another contractor redo a lot of the electrics to accommodate the current owner. The previous electricains work is unreal, he has completely ruined the installation.

I'm not 100% sure how to approach this. There's a lot a minor things which need doing which I will report back, but the lighting in some of the areas is unreal. The previous contractor had used SY cable everywhere, not correctly terminated at any point, which I found out is carrying a healthy 157v on the braiding. Basically every earth has been cut out throughout the lighting, mainly class 2 fittings, but due to the fact a lot of he circuits are new and all the existing work has an earth, would that be a C2. As it should comply with when he installed it.

Also getting 287v back down a neutral when not connected via a circuit fed by a Seperate DB on the other side. Earths used as feeds in some cases, some lighting circuits supplied via 2/3 circuits, all with no CPC and low IR. Due to the fact it's suspended ceilings everywhere etc... I was thinking it might just be easy to just redo a lot of the lighting instead of trying to break it down and see what's salvageable.

What would any of you do?

You are doing the report at the moment so continue with that until complete but it maybe prudent to advise your client of the nature of the findings so far to prewarn them, but only provide full detail in the report or you may miss things and may be asked to stop the report.
The lighting is bad and the crossover of circuits is very worrying.
You state mainly class II fittings which means some are not class II so lack of earthing would be a C2 classification.
It may be easiest to keep light fittings and replace wiring runs but the layout of the circuits will determine the most appropriate method of rectification.

It’s a shame when an old but perfectly useable installation is butchered by some body who doesn’t know and/or care what they are doing.
I’ve come across it all too often.....although nothing as bad as you describe.
Basically condemn it with C2 and FI comments where needed and as others have mentioned, worry about sorting it out later on when the report is completed.

I am puzzled. 157v on braiding? Is that not a real and immediate risk of electric shock? If so would it not warrant a C1. In which case the person ordering the work should be informed in writing and the inspection halted until that situation has been dealt with???

I am puzzled. 157v on braiding? Is that not a real and immediate risk of electric shock? If so would it not warrant a C1. In which case the person ordering the work should be informed in writing and the inspection halted until that situation has been dealt with???
Sounds a bit dramatic:screamcat:

I meant halting the inspection. I am three quarters through an 800+ plus test and if I took this type of action I would be downing tools every hour.

I agree, I wouldn't stop the inspection due to an issue like this. Simply make safe if possible or as I did, tape over the braiding which was exposed for the time being, with dozens of pictures etc... and note everything on report.

Always good to know how others carry out their work, when doing an EICR would you simply test the IR on a DB as a whole. Did a 48 way board the other night, low IR with a 3 pole main switch, so went through one by one to identify one circuit which was low. But I remember when I was taught the guy who taught be said not to do that, record low IR for the board as a whole and then call for further investigation to identify any specific circuits.

Always good to know how others carry out their work, when doing an EICR would you simply test the IR on a DB as a whole. Did a 48 way board the other night, low IR with a 3 pole main switch, so went through one by one to identify one circuit which was low. But I remember when I was taught the guy who taught be said not to do that, record low IR for the board as a whole and then call for further investigation to identify any specific circuits.
I suppose it depends on different things.
What your quote or allows for.
Agreements made with the client beforehand.
Relationship with the client and what they expect.
Time scales, etc.
If it's not a quite recently installed job, without additions or alterations (in other words, a dream), it would be very unusual to be able to do a successful global IR test on such a board.

I suppose it depends on different things.
What your quote or allows for.
Agreements made with the client beforehand.
Relationship with the client and what they expect.
Time scales, etc.
If it's not a quite recently installed job, without additions or alterations (in other words, a dream), it would be very unusual to be able to do a successful global IR test on such a board.
If you could get extra time doing testing, which in my opinion, is part of the job anyway, good luck....but not my way....nor yours, I feel.

Rarely do a global IR as I generally work large commercial or industrial sites and from past experience it rarely pans out unless it is a few rudimentary circuits.

I suppose if your IR reading for the whole board was 1Mohm or higher then it is acceptable but I would note it in the comments section

Most of the time if you do a global IR test on a 3 phase db then it’s gonna be less than 1Mohm so it’s pointless in my eyes.
That problem won't disappear if you test them individually though as the requirement is for the insulation of the whole installation or DB to be above the values and not simply each circuit.

That problem won't disappear if you test them individually though as the requirement is for the insulation of the whole installation or DB to be above the values and not simply each circuit.
Just pointing out it’s in my opinion to test the circuits individually as the bigger the installation and circuit numbers then the lower the resistance in terms of going a global test

Reply to Commercial EICR - Your opinion? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock