Discuss commercial EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paulanderson22

Good afternoon gents,

I have been asked to carry out an EICR on a commercial premesis. I plan to price the job with a friend of mine who is approved through elecsa.
It is my understanding that carrying out testing and inspection of electrical systems in a commercial premisis requires no approval from NIC, Napit or elecsa as the only requirement is that the person carrying out the works is competent.

The questions I have are:

Will the insurance company require the work to be carried out by a member of one of the above mentioned schemes and will eleca suffice?

There are rented domestic properties above the premesis that do not share the same meter. Will this alter whether the commercial works will be part p notifiable?

I work in the gas industry and have competency certificates coming out of my ears! I am familiar with the premises as I carry out repairs on occassions. I am happy to do the work but I want to make sure that the insurance company will accept the inspection results in the event of any incidents.

Thanks

The flats above are separate installations as they don't share meter/s. Therefore part pee is not applicable to the commercial premises.

It could be that the Insurance company will want the Inspection conducted someone registered with the NICEIC, or one of the other bodies.
However I have found in the past that if you call and speak to them, they will often agree to accept a report done by someone not registered.

As already said, it depends on the insurance company, right or wrong they sometimes demand you're in a scheme some even demand that you're with a particular scheme ( usually Niceic ) and then some are happy if you can prove you're competent by way of qualifications and then some just don't care fullstop.

Last edited:
would be down to the person ordering/ paying for the work to employ the correct person to carry out the test no?

You can speak to the insurance company, but you may well end up speaking to a call center operative and they often give information that is contrary to the policy document.
Its whats written in that document and specifically its Terms and Conditions that count.
So that's the real information you require, and get it in writing or e.mail.

Thanks for the replies. I will ask the owner to check his policy. It seems like a big stitch up with companies all having their own preference on approval. Surely its all the same thing!

Had one commercial eicr job where the insurance co demanded elecsa, ECA or niecec so got NAPIT onto them and they sorted it out with a few phone calls.

Strange that ELECSA would be acceptable to them given that it is a domestic-only body.

Reply to commercial EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock