Discuss Commercial & Industrial work with Elecsa in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yellowvanman, from my perspective the relevance of 4 days is that is the number of days that Fire works on and therefore has 4 free to complete electrical work. I agree with Engineer54 that is a huge limiting factor to doing commercial/industrial work. It of course depends on the contract size and the nature of the contract but working for a company is very different to working for Mrs Jones contractually speaking. Professional organisations expect an entirely different level of service and anyone who shows up and then says they can't complete or progress their contract because they need to go back to their day job is a non starter in the commercial world, but I'm talking big contracts, so maybe it will work but even in a domestic environment i.e. house rewire it wouldn't work for me.

I’m sorry but hoping to do industrial work part time just isn’t going to work.
Who comes first the fire service or the client, both have you under a contract. Renege on either and you’re in the brown smelly stuff.

Thanks for all the advice. I agree taking on large jobs wont be possible, but id still like to do some small Commercial/Industrial jobs if they came up.

Looks like ill be mainly house bashing, oh well still pays the bills.

Cheers

Go into partnership with another fireman on the opposite shift, might work.
Agree on the views here, when i set up, speed was essential to get the foot in the door. Only when you know the client and you get ahead of the job can you disappear for a few days. When i am working on long jobs, i.e. takes severak weeks, i go at it to get ahead of the project, this then leaves me the time to go on breakdowns and the like

Thanks for all the advice. I agree taking on large jobs wont be possible, but id still like to do some small Commercial/Industrial jobs if they came up.

Looks like ill be mainly house bashing, oh well still pays the bills.

Cheers

Until you’re in a position to devote yourself full time I’m afraid it’s your only option.

The last company I worked for employed an electrician on an as required basis. We the plant electricians were to busy fire fighting (please excuse the pun) keeping the place running, it was falling to bits! His ship hit the rocks when he started a job and due to his other main commitments he vanished for a week, he then came back expecting to carry on what he’d started.

Hi

I live in London

Can somebody help me , I've finish my L2 electrical intallation , and and in June i'll finish L3 , I just got pass 17edit 2008 new amendement (2011), plus , I've just started an evening 2391 T&I course (will finish in 8weeks time ) ,

I want to do my NVQ , can you help ? I'willng to work Mondays wednesdays , fridays and saterdays

Best Reguards

Reply to Commercial & Industrial work with Elecsa in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net