Discuss Commercial kitchen sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I undertake maintenance at 3 x pub kitchens ( that’s what I tell the wife anyway) . Every 6-8 months I get called back to change sockets as scorched, cracked, brittle . Obviously these are already fitted too close to fryers etc , and all in white plastic dado trunking . The design is crap but not a lot I can do apart from replacing them . Any opinions or tips on what everyone else fits ? Would a metal clad socket be better ( or get too hot ?) . I’m surprised there is not a socket you can buy designed for this situation , heat proof, splash proof etc etc . Any ideas or tips much appreciated cheers

Hi all, I undertake maintenance at 3 x pub kitchens ( that’s what I tell the wife anyway) . Every 6-8 months I get called back to change sockets as scorched, cracked, brittle . Obviously these are already fitted too close to fryers etc , and all in white plastic dado trunking . The design is crap but not a lot I can do apart from replacing them . Any opinions or tips on what everyone else fits ? Would a metal clad socket be better ( or get too hot ?) . I’m surprised there is not a socket you can buy designed for this situation , heat proof, splash proof etc etc . Any ideas or tips much appreciated cheers

If they are getting damaged due to being too close to hot items then they need relocating.

Even if you change to metal clad sockets, the plugs will get damaged still.

The plastic dado trunking isn't going to last long either in a commercial kitchen.

Are the sockets overheating due to proximity of the equipment, or is there too much being used at once?
There are references on the forum that a double socket can only handle 20A, even though you can plug 2 x 13A loads in.
Best idea would be a dedicated radial circuit for each item, but I know that's not always practical or possible.

The plastic dado trunking isn't going to last long either in a commercial kitchen.

Are the sockets overheating due to proximity of the equipment, or is there too much being used at once?
There are references on the forum that a double socket can only handle 20A, even though you can plug 2 x 13A loads in.
Best idea would be a dedicated radial circuit for each item, but I know that's not always practical or possible.

Or, if the circuit is suitably rated, move from one double socket to two singles, but I agree with @DPG , if this is a regular occurrence, they should be moved.

I understand best practice is to relocate/ move but these kitchens have been refitted only a couple of years ago bad bad electrical design ( nothing to do with me ) . The owners will not pay for re design , my question was if anybody knew of any specific sockets for this environment! There must be thousands of kitchens like this ! Not to worry I thought it was worth asking , thanks for replies anyway

I understand best practice is to relocate/ move but these kitchens have been refitted only a couple of years ago bad bad electrical design ( nothing to do with me ) . The owners will not pay for re design , my question was if anybody knew of any specific sockets for this environment! There must be thousands of kitchens like this ! Not to worry I thought it was worth asking , thanks for replies anyway
Sadly you are correct about the state of a lot of commercial kitchens and fast food outlets.

But they are happy to pay a sparky to come in every 6 months and replace the sockets?

Separate supply to each item into a lockable switch fuse, and I hardly think Dado trunking is the ideal containment method for this scenario.

Sounds a bad and dangerous situation, all round. It does seem, however, that the damage 'around the pins' is occurring due to overloading. Exactly what items are fed from the d sockets?
I wouldn't recommend anything other than metalclad sockets and galv trunking anywhere near a cook line.

Ask them what they're cleaning them with. I found one place was using neat bleach which didn't do the plastic any good.

But they are happy to pay a sparky to come in every 6 months and replace the sockets?
Yes ! They are obviously
[automerge]1580059138[/automerge]
Separate supply to each item into a lockable switch fuse, and I hardly think Dado trunking is the ideal containment method for this scenario.
I agree mate , but as I’ve said I’m not the company going round charging a fortune to fit these kitchens and installing dado !!!!

I used to do maintenance for well known fried chicken places. Replacement of sockets was a regular job. When they are being used for loads near max and splashed with grease regularly it was inevitable and something they just put up with.
I found metal clad sockets lasted no better although obviously were better at taking knocks.

Sounds a bad and dangerous situation, all round. It does seem, however, that the damage 'around the pins' is occurring due to overloading. Exactly what items are fed from the d sockets?
I wouldn't recommend anything other than metalclad sockets and galv trunking anywhere near a cook line.
Agree mate but I didn’t mention any damage “ around the pins “ ! It’s not overload , just excessive heat , fat etc !
[automerge]1580059344[/automerge]
I used to do maintenance for well known fried chicken places. Replacement of sockets was a regular job. When they are being used for loads near max and splashed with grease regularly it was inevitable and something they just put up with.
I found metal clad sockets lasted no better although obviously were better at taking knocks.
Thanks for your input Andy

Yes ! They are obviously

I agree mate , but as I’ve said I’m not the company going round charging a fortune to fit these kitchens and installing dado !!!!
Then they ought to employ someone that knows what they are about, rather than some Herbert that just does the cheapest install, with the easiest way without a clue as to the maintainability aspects.
[automerge]1580062988[/automerge]
Agree mate but I didn’t mention any damage “ around the pins “ ! It’s not overload , just excessive heat , fat etc !
[automerge]1580059344[/automerge]

Thanks for your input Andy
Yes ! They are obviously

I agree mate , but as I’ve said I’m not the company going round charging a fortune to fit these kithens and installing dado !!!!
Education, Education, Mate, time for a word with the management I think, if you have their ear.

Last edited:
Then they ought to employ someone that knows what they are about, rather than some Herbert that just does the cheapest install, with the easiest way without a clue as to the maintainability aspects.
[automerge]1580062988[/automerge]

Education, Education, Mate, time for a word with the management I think, if you have their ear.
Again Pete ! I agree

Reply to Commercial kitchen sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net