Discuss commercial kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ichinen

Hi all,
Just wondering (as a guideline) what the IP rating should be for a commercial kitchen (switches, sockets, etc)?

Thanks.

Hi all,
Just wondering (as a guideline) what the IP rating should be for a commercial kitchen (switches, sockets, etc)?

Thanks.

Depends on what type of commercial kitchen, as well what area of the kitchen your talking about. Obviously areas that are going to flushed down with hoses are going to need a higher IP rating than those area's that will always remain dry....

What does the design spec say ?
Have you carried out our own risk assessment / survey of the location ?

Depends on what type of commercial kitchen, as well what area of the kitchen your talking about. Obviously areas that are going to flushed down with hoses are going to need a higher IP rating than those area's that will always remain dry....
It's a restaurant kitchen. No hose is used. Just wondering wether to use metal clad or standard accessories with pvc conduit Hi tuf cable. I'm going to do a full rewiring there...
Anyone has been involved in that kind of enviroment? any suggestion?

Thanks

Last pub kitchen I did was standard MK white

Observe 300mm from draining boards.

20A outlets for friers etc

3phase outlets for ovens etc

I tend to run seperate radials for each socket/pair of sockets as they are prone to pluging multi way extensions into socket outlets.

Last pub kitchen I did was standard MK white

Observe 300mm from draining boards.

20A outlets for friers etc

3phase outlets for ovens etc

I tend to run seperate radials for each socket/pair of sockets as they are prone to pluging multi way extensions into socket outlets.

Did you use singles in pvc conduit or trunking or T&E?
Thanks

From a hygine point of view pvc conduit would be best ( easy to clean )
Metal clad skts and switches will last longer and resist accidental damage.
And weatherproof fittings close to sinks and for any walk in freezers.

Last one we were lucky, all stud walls, full refurb, so all sockets flush.

Previous one was as mentioned above in white PVC

Did a bank of 5 off 20A outlets, this was in singles, in surface trunking, all sockets done in 4mm T+E

Last edited:
I'd go for galv trunking for the cookline, metal clad accessories and commando sockets as appropriate, MK master seal for wet areas and PVC conduit. Singles where possible in trunkings.

Also don't forget if your designing it to encorporate things like gas shut of valves and the like. Using YY in the trunking can make it easier also

Reply to commercial kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock