Discuss Commercial office buildings regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dragon-av

HI Chaps slightly odd question...

a contact of mine is moving to anew office and wants some screens for meeting rooms as i am a custom AV installer we are looking at a contra agreement wher etehy will do some work for me in return for me speccing installing and setting up the meeting rooms, a good day or so in work. They have Dado run all over the building for power and data and the screens will be above Dado with PC etc below what i need to know is.

1: Can i fit a spur to power the screen or would this require a cert?
2: Can i run video cable through the Dado? where the T&E runs
3: Do i need to run video in trunking in the dado?
4: Anything else i need to be aware of?

Fitting a spur is always most logical to me and looks much better but i am unsur eof the regs for office buildings i know in a house outside of a special area i can fit a spur...

Please help chaps also what is the going rate for 2 3A SFS in dado for an office?

As this is a commercial environment (I assume it is) part p is not applicable so you could wire in a spur for the equipment so long as you are competent to do so and your installation is tested and certificated etc.

I worked years in a large distribution centre with many offices and the dado trunking used had seperate compartments above and below the compartment where the mains cables were run, if the dado trunking is single compartment i would recommend not running it with t&e.

a certificate should allways be issued for any electrical work undertaken ,and you cant run telecommunications or data cabling with mains power cabling ie T&E.

a certificate should allways be issued for any electrical work undertaken ,and you cant run telecommunications or data cabling with mains power cabling ie T&E.

If the dado trunking has seperate compartments for power,data and telcom cables then you can, as long as they are run on their own that is why it is made for this purpose.

Last edited:
im sure it will be fine if just passing through the compartment, i think the problems arise when the cables are run parrallel to each other in the same compartment

Being a commercial contract building control dont have to get involved, this means you don't have to be a member of the NIC or anything like that. Secondly any work you have to do will need certificating for this job, a minor works permit, schedule of inspections and a schedule of tests. As to the AV cables inside the dado normally you wouldn't do that, but in reality if the leads you use are 230V rated its not a problem. As to the person saying about problems from running in parallel to the T+E your on about eddie currents and induced EMF's not a problem if you use shielded/screened cables which being AV cables I would expect them to be especially if they are 230V rated (this will be printed allong the length of the cord).

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a commercial contract building control dont have to get involved, this means you don't have to be a member of the NIC or anything like that. Secondly any work you have to do will need certificating for this job, a minor works permit, schedule of inspections and a schedule of tests. As to the AV cables inside the dado normally you wouldn't do that, but in reality if the leads you use are 230V rated its not a problem. As to the person saying about problems from running in parallel to the T+E your on about eddie currents and induced EMF's not a problem if you use shielded/screened cables which being AV cables I would expect them to be especially if they are 230V rated (this will be printed allong the length of the cord).
thats good to know thanks mate.

Reply to Commercial office buildings regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net