Discuss Commercial or Domestic? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bane

Some pretty simple questions for you all.

Which do you think is better for onsite experience/training?

Which do you think pays better (in general)?

Which do you prefer and why (besides the money)?

Over to you lads (and lasses)

to be honest, i havnt done any domestic, but i've done commercial, In my opinion, commercial can be just be big domestic. so your getting both

but theres more things in commercial you'd probably wire up than in a domestic, usually takes longer.

domestic you'd probably get to the point where you'd know everything and would increase in speed, meaning quicker rewires = more money I guess. any one else share to comment?

I have done both and feel that domestic pays better - especially on price where £700 + a week is achievable. Most companies just pay hourly rate for anyone working on Industrial / commercial in my experience. I like both but comm / ind can be a bit boring just dealing with trunking / tray, but at times can be very interesting with 3 phase and large projects.

domestic you'd probably get to the point where you'd know everything and would increase in speed, meaning quicker rewires = more money I guess. any one else share to comment?

i havent done anything except domestic and meand my mate rewire a 3 bed council house in a day for £670 a couple of weeks ago then 2 days later rewired a 4 bed council house in a day for £740. its hard going and really knackering but its easy work.

if im honest its isnt so bad as the site im on at the moment the houses have " no finds " walls so anything on the external walls has to be surface mounted so the only chase i did downstairs was in the front room for 2 sockets behind the telly and the fire spur.

the kitchen is chased in but we utilsy the no finds so we can surface mount.

by the way we only run the trunking down the corners not the middle of the wall.

Onsite experiance..... Bit of everything I suppose.

Pay.............. Commercial /industrial. Domestic market saturated round our way. Too cut-throat.

Preference............. industrial without a doubt. Domestic not challenging enough.

commercial industrial, there is a wider range than domestic ,industrial pretty good for coming across the unusual but i,ve found a larger volume of work in the commercial sector .

Having worked in both areas, i would always choose industrial/commercial. Alot more interesting and diverse work, but it's good to get a broad spectrum of work under your belt so working in any new area of the electrical field is a good learning curve !!!!

Yeah, must admit I would love some comm/Ind work now. I like house bashing but Shakey said something a while ago on one of my posts regarding calculating diversity. He said that if we don't use the old grey matter then we are in fear of becoming nothing more than electrical labourers. I want to use my noodle as I was blessed with some intelligence and I don't want to bcome just another house bashing monkey.

Yeah, must admit I would love some comm/Ind work now. I like house bashing but Shakey said something a while ago on one of my posts regarding calculating diversity. He said that if we don't use the old grey matter then we are in fear of becoming nothing more than electrical labourers. I want to use my noodle as I was blessed with some intelligence and I don't want to bcome just another house bashing monkey.

or an untrained monkey like me:p

I want to use my noodle as I was blessed with some intelligence and I don't want to bcome just another house bashing monkey.

Surprised you say that...

My background was more electronic orientated (CNC) with about 30% 240v (in thise days) and having been out the game for a while and genning up on the regs, Part P requirements and testing and inspection, it surprised me just how technical some aspects of house bashing has become!

Reply to Commercial or Domestic? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net