Discuss commercial rewiring in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

banny07

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi, i am going to rewire a restaurant basement, upstairs is already wired (old red & black),the owner decided to put some tables and chairs in the basement. my question is if i could use ordinary pvc twin & earth or LSF cable which is expensive (owner dont want to spend too much)? I already spoken to two electrical testers, both said it is ok to use normal cable but it is not a good practice. any suggetions please........?
I do apologise for my poor English.. regards.

Hi Banny

I don't see a problem with you using normal T&E. Can you give some more details about the cable run, what you are supplying? etc

Mark

Hi Mark.
cables are to be run between/through wooden joist, longest ron will be 10 mtrs from ccu. customer is supplying material......
banny

As far as i m aware there is no requirement in BS7671 to use LSF in commerial properties.

If the property is owned by a landlord he may have a view on what he would like to see in his building but as long as it complies with BS7671 you can use whatever you like.

I agree with the previous mail regarding the fire alarms though. The fire officer will have much to say about this if it is not up to scratch.

Emergency lighting and signage will also be required in the basement, what I would be worried about is the access to the basement if there is only one and no emergency exit via another way then the local council would not permit it to be used without this emergency exit in place.

Being the basement I would use LSF due to toxic fumes given off by PVC.

Last edited:
thanks . there is an emergency exit at the back. another thing.......... smoke alarm or fire alarm? as owner wants to keep cost down.......... thanks everybody in advance.

Last edited:
always worry when owner wants to keep cost down.has local authority approved change of usage.are you working to any kind of

sorry spec

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, he got proper permission and district surveyor is involved.but there is no spec. or design.he just want about 60 down lights and 12 double sockets..he didnt mention any smoke alarm, signage or emergency lights.

yes, he got proper permission and district surveyor is involved.but there is no spec. or design.he just want about 60 down lights and 12 double sockets..he didnt mention any smoke alarm, signage or emergency lights.

I would be very wary of the "not mentioning" those items.

I think you will find they are required, regardless of what anyone tells you.

You maybe should check with your LABC.

I agree with Jason check with LABC also local fire regs.
LSF is good practice in areas with little or no ventilation.But then thats another thing not mentioned!
This jobs getting bigger all the time surely this would be addressed by LABC.

Check with the LABC as last thing you would want to do is totally rewire it and all decorated only to be told you have used the wrong type of cable and the owner wants you to rectify it all at your cost.

thanks everyone.another question ...... smoke alarm or fire alarm? upstairs 2zone fire alarm is installed.can i add a few fire detectors,break glass and a sounder/bell ? how many detectors, break glass and sounders are aloud on a zone?what is the sequence please? never done this before and need guidance please.... thanks all again........

thanks everyone.another question ...... smoke alarm or fire alarm? upstairs 2zone fire alarm is installed.can i add a few fire detectors,break glass and a sounder/bell ? how many detectors, break glass and sounders are aloud on a zone?what is the sequence please? never done this before and need guidance please.... thanks all again........

Without belittleing you from what you have said you have very little experience of fire alarm systems, there are various regulations concerning the installation of a fire alarm system includeing how many zones you have, location of smoke detectors , BGU locations.
Then you have to sign it off as commisioned and you become responsible for being the designer / installer / commisioning engineer.
If anything does go up in smoke there could be a very big finger pointing your way, so I would suggest that for a minimum you have somebody else design the installation and then get somebody else to commision it and sign it off, work to their specification and the weight should then be off your shoulders.

Reply to commercial rewiring in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net