Discuss Commercial sub mains exceed max zs of mccbs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jackhammerJIM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thoughts required on todays scenario .

Commercial premises fed from 100 amp 3 phase TNS supply ZE 0.40

feeds 80 amp 3 phase switch fuse (max zs 0.57)

feeds 400 amp mainswitch protek panel in 35mm swa 16mm earth

125 amp mccb (0.24 max zs) submain exceeds max zs at 0.57

Had this down as a code 2 but max zs of 80 amp switch fuse will disconnect in under 5 seconds ....

Dogs dinner of a set up , any one in agreement of my code 3 ????

Even if your Ze was 0.10 you wouldn't achieve selectivity. I don't suppose you did a line/neutral reading at source of supply.

Even if your Ze was 0.10 you wouldn't achieve selectivity. I don't suppose you did a line/neutral reading at source of supply.

not yet . Im going in early tomorrow so will test L N .

The main panel and sub mains were installed 5 years ago with no paperwork and not a lot of thought in design .

In your opinion does it warrant a code 2 ?

Fault protection is provided at the 80A switch-fuse the problem you have is selectivity by possible poor design and a high Ze.

So you have 0.40 at the 80A switch-fuse which supplies a switch panel at which Zs is 0.57 thus, the Zs for the 125A device at this panel will be excessive due to the 0.57?

You need to be clear in your Report as we have been confused.

Read the first post again it is not that confusing .

The report will state that the 125a sub mains from the 400 amp panel board exceed maximum permissible zs values but the disconnection time will be met by the 80 amp switch fuse at source

It isn't confusing to you because you can visualise it but to someone reading you first post it is not clear.

Read the first post again it is not that confusing .

The report will state that the 125a sub mains from the 400 amp panel board exceed maximum permissible zs values but the disconnection time will be met by the 80 amp switch fuse at source
This statement to me gives the impression is all okay and maybe it is as fault protection is provided but the issue of selectivity is not clearly addressed. There is no selectivity between x and the supply protective device y whereby fault protection is provided by y. Or something along those lines.

Reply to Commercial sub mains exceed max zs of mccbs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock