Discuss commisioning fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

From your replies I will just get it commissioned by the company who designed the install. What is the rough cost of CAD drawings to be made up of the design as I’m guessing this is also a requirement or is it not.

So heat detection in the lobby to the flat is connected to the system in the communal areas?

Thinking about it I am surprised no detection in the system in the kitchen. I have the idea that now you should have a dual detector for heat and Carbon Monoxide no?

Thinking about it I am surprised no detection in the system in the kitchen. I have the idea that now you should have a dual detector for heat and Carbon Monoxide no?
I do find it strange aswell, but all the council stated was they want grade D Ld3 to each flat (non interlinked), that’s exactly what they put, I haven’t installed this yet and to be honest I’m not sure what to install and where to be honest, don’t want to go over the odds if they dont feels its required but on the other hand don’t want to leave myself open either, the reason I’m keen on doing least amount possible in the flats is one of the tenants is a heroin addict and is treating his kitchen like a crack den (so least amount of time spent in there the better)

Do not enter that place again. Really! It is not just the immediate danger of needles and attendant worries you also have to consider the possibility of real trouble breaking out there from other sources and you could be in the middle of it. I know you may need the money but it is really not worth it. I know exactly what I am talking about and I can assure you you are in more danger than perhaps you realise. Sorry to be so pointed but there it is.

As Vort says, there could be all sorts of problems from other users, dealers, etc.

Looking at the pictures you need a full system 2 stage set up where you have communal 'bed head sounders' in most rooms from the main panel, linked alert to a response unit (auto call out to fire brigade) .. unless station is close enough to negate a auto dial... the regs do state that full interaction is needed with building control and fire services and a mutual agreed system fitted.

Looking at the pictures you need a full system 2 stage set up where you have communal 'bed head sounders' in most rooms from the main panel, linked alert to a response unit (auto call out to fire brigade) .. unless station is close enough to negate a auto dial... the regs do state that full interaction is needed with building control and fire services and a mutual agreed system fitted.
Really!!! Is that something that the designer should be picking up, none of this was mentioned by the council or the designer. Are you basing this on the risk assessed with the way the tenants live.

Really!!! Is that something that the designer should be picking up, none of this was mentioned by the council or the designer. Are you basing this on the risk assessed with the way the tenants live.

Your expected tenants can have a massive impact on design both cost and level of cover, this is all clearly set out in the standards, I just done a series of flats for ex addicts, crims etc and had to do a system that accounted for their condition, it added about 4k to the job but my arse is covered.. most people think there insurance will be a fall back but that will not help if they haven't followed the standards nor agreed with the local fire service and building control.. for the insurance firms any slight deviation from the regulations will void cover unless all parties agree on the design.

Your expected tenants can have a massive impact on design both cost and level of cover, this is all clearly set out in the standards, I just done a series of flats for ex addicts, crims etc and had to do a system that accounted for their condition, it added about 4k to the job but my arse is covered.. most people think there insurance will be a fall back but that will not help if they haven't followed the standards nor agreed with the local fire service and building control.. for the insurance firms any slight deviation from the regulations will void cover unless all parties agree on the design.
Oh great!!! Got me panicking now as I quoted based on the council and the designers requests of what’s required (now the system is already installed) I’m now thinking I’ve either underquoted if it requires a lot More work or I leave it and left myself open should anything happen. Would I not be covered based on paperwork from the council stating there requirements and the designer commissioning the system

I will add that everything on designed systems for multiple occupancy has to have a paper trail, even a confirmation from the system suppliers of the cat' level of your project and that the system they supplied meets that level, the idea you can go to the local wholesalers and order a load of gear and pay for is ignorant to the requirements... if the worst happens one needs to have a solid trial to show everything was designed and agreed and supplied correctly.

Reply to commisioning fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock