Discuss Common dangers, problems and answers in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

luke teague

Hi all,
Can we all try and make a list of common problems and answers.
And some of the dangers we have found.

heres a few to start us off

diy'ers putting 2x dimmers on same light fitting (it don't work they fight against each other)

extractor fan ducting in loft space's filled up with water above fan!!

Make sure you always turn off the whole board on rewire type fuses, as i have seen a few people get a shock off the bottom of them when diy'ers rewire them and leave the fuse wire to long and sticking out.

kitchen fitters wiring LOL :)
shocks of pipe work thats not earthed or has no earth rod on a TT once gas in take pipe has been changed to plastic!

hey luke,
welcome ,for me the biggest danger is other electricians not really knowing what they are doing .
in my approx twenty years the two worst incidents were;1.cutting through a swa i was told was dead (when i was a trainee)and 2.cutting a swa that someone made live during cutting (they didnt know sequence of operation on a control panel)
luck and swa saved me from serious injury.
two other close shaves were ;leaning into a panel with big exposed busbars:eek: and driving a spike within two inches of a distribution supply cable (voltage unknown):D,the cat didnt find it.

Your lucky to be alive lol

About for years back, i had a really bad electrical shock. It really makes you look out for the dangers, i have not had one since.
It happened when i was doing a job for family, I was wiring in a 10mm cable for a shower didn't have any of my own tools because he said he had everything!!! any way i was up on the top floor in the loft, he said the power is off, didn't want to make him think i think he is a lair and it was a long was down. so started to terminate the wire and ended up stuck to it. I had no control over my body and muscels locked up, managed to throw me off electric shot out of other hand. On new years eve. the hospital was only bottom f the road lucky enough, i got there before the pain kicked in, the hospital people didn't know what to do and everyone ran away from me because of the smell of burning flesh. my hand burnt nearly to the bone, 2 months out of work, hand with bad scares that are now only noticeble if mentione. Im now fine and believe i was tought to slow down and take nothing anyone says final ALWAYS CHECK FOR YOURSELF!! YOU

DON'T ALWAYS GET A SECOND CHANCE!!
I HAVE NOT HAD A SHOCK SINCE AND DON'T INTEND TO GET ONE EVER AGAIN.
:eek:

Reply to Common dangers, problems and answers in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock