Discuss Communal stair lighting and outdoor security cert. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys n Gals been while.

Asked to do alter some communal stairs lighting in flats and fresh install of some security lighting outside. basically block of flats with car park/ garden etc.. First i thought this would be non notifiable, but been told i might be wrong now>? any ideas.?
Also what certs would be required. obviously installations but would i have to do additional one because the Em lighting is part of the circuit of communal lights.
Also been told there 2 circuits for the Com/EM lights, which i believe ideally should be one considering its just one stair case one block one board.

If i was to do EM function testing (say quarterly) would that again be notifiable?

Thanks for all your posts of thoughts and experience. This site such a help.

Asked to do alter some communal stairs lighting in flats and fresh install of some security lighting outside. basically block of flats with car park/ garden etc.. First i thought this would be non notifiable, but been told i might be wrong now>? any ideas.?
Depends on the alterations you are going to undertake. But yes if you are installing new circuit or extending circuit outside then yes it would be notifiable.
Also what certs would be required.
You being the competent electrician I would have thought you'd know the answer.
I'd issue:
MWC if extending an existing circuit.
EIC for new circuit.
Emergency lighting completion certificate for any EML work.
Also been told there 2 circuits for the Com/EM lights, which i believe ideally should be one considering its just one stair case one block one board.
So long as they come on when the supply is lost there isnt a problem with them being on differing circuits, would be an idea if they are labelled at the DB & circuit designation is on the test switch.
If i was to do EM function testing (say quarterly) would that again be notifiable?
No

Thanks for reply, Most helpful. yeah i was fully aware of the MWC and EIC needs. but as far as the part p was concerned i did not know whether it would come into play in the common ways, on landlords supply. Still place of domestic dwelling. i guess so should of know better.

Reply to Communal stair lighting and outdoor security cert. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net