Discuss Community Defibrillator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

workbelt12

Hi - Anyone installed one of these
Been asked to install one on a private homes external wall & connect to house wiring - 13A plug connection
I am told
Concerns - isolation - if no access to property
- supply - security off - no good if flat battery

Thanks in advance

Hi
I fitted one on our local fire station for community responders .
Basically a metal enclosure with a small heater and led strip inside.
The AED is not on charge just in a bag to grab and go.
All I put was a IP rated RCD spur above thou it depends on what's already there.
Hope this helps.

Done a couple, very easy. They were on a council buildings & wanted isolation inside so switchless spurs.

Remember they have to be fitted with disabled access in mind (both ive done had the stated height on the installation paper but varied slightly) 1000mm from FFL to lock/catch.

I'm not sure however that someone in a wheelchair could administer the defibrillator??

As said the defibrillator units themselves are just a bag, all you are wring is a small thermostat & thermo tube.

Handy if you have a spare pair of hands to hang it as they get heavy quite quickly!

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I’m in same situation.

community council want a defib on side of a private house. Must be a member of committee offering wall space.

I’ve already offered to fit it FOC, with just material and transport costs as I’ve done it before in another village.

They have already had a price from another company who said it needs to be on its own circuit. Is that right?
Last time I just spurred off the rfc. It’s only for a heater and light in the cabinet. What does it matter if it’s off the rfc or not??

it will be off an RCD protected circuit as the house is only 5 years old.

Hmmmm....... interesting one, this. Could be argued as a life safety system and therefore come under 560!

But for practical purposes I think that a nonswitched fused spur will do the job!

The defib is indeed a life saver, but it is not connected to the electrics at all.... just a light and a heater. The defib is a one-shot battery powered device. They need replaced completely if it’s been used.

I’m thinking of spurring straight outside to a fused outlet in an IP box so it can be isolated without entering the house, but no switch so it can’t just be switched off by some inquisitive youth.

I do a fair few of these, the ones I have done are all the same manufacturer, Cardiac Science G5 unit. They all come with an led magnetic pir light that runs on 4 AAA batteries, the power in these units solely does the small heater to keep the defibrillator battery in good condition if it's cold. I cannot find the instructions for them at the moment but I'm sure it says they should be on an rcd and can be plugged in or put on a spur from a final circuit.
The last couple I have done have requested a 10w led above the box so that it stood out in the dark due to lack of street lighting.
Sy

The defib is indeed a life saver, but it is not connected to the electrics at all.... just a light and a heater. The defib is a one-shot battery powered device. They need replaced completely if it’s been used.

I’m thinking of spurring straight outside to a fused outlet in an IP box so it can be isolated without entering the house, but no switch so it can’t just be switched off by some inquisitive youth.
As I said.... if the thing freezes up in the winter there is the risk of it not working - ergo, the heater could be argued as a component of a safety system. But..... Unswitched fused spur and good to go.

As an aside....... be interested to hear how many of us personally have had defib training. Given what we do and the risks to cardio interruption it's a massively important skill to have. I have had training.

The last one one I fitted had an instruction book. No training required. ;)

They should be simple enough that any member of the public can use them.
but I suppose training increases the success rate

As an aside....... be interested to hear how many of us personally have had defib training. Given what we do and the risks to cardio interruption it's a massively important skill to have. I have had training.
The cardiac science ones are designed to be used by anyone. They talk to you and tell you exactly what to do and when. There’s even a CPR rhythm to help you get the pace of that right.

The training is useful, but it’s not necessary. Personally I’d much rather effective CPR was taught to everyone, and that everyone was confident enough to perform it if required. Early defib will usually still need effective CPR to be successful (with or without rescue breaths), even if it’s just being done while the defib is being fetched.

The last one one I fitted had an instruction book. No training required. ;)

They should be simple enough that any member of the public can use them.
but I suppose training increases the success rate
A lot of them actually have an 'auto pilot' kind of thing and a voice talks the user through what needs to happen.

Personally I’d much rather effective CPR was taught to everyone, and that everyone was confident enough to perform it if required.
Agreed... most people don't do it anywhere near hard enough ! I prefer the technique where you get your hand inside their thorax and massage the heart with your hand... but that's not often taught not on the one-day first aid courses.

Reply to Community Defibrillator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net