Discuss company thinking about coming out of sjib in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

buddie

hi guys,new to this and my 1st post. my employer is thinking about coming out of the sjib. they say it is only the employee that gains from being in it,is this a pile of nonsense and if so what benefits does my employer get from being in the sjib? thanks,your feedback is much appreciated.

theyy pay X amount per week to the holiday,benefit fund the SJIB pay out Y amount 3 times a year to cover holiday pay the differance is taken up by benefits package ( bupa death in service insurance ect)

Iv worked for SJIB non SJIB no real differance as most companys pick and choose what bits of the rulebook they like and what bits they dont like as for Your employer coming aout Ask him about benefits like DIS /BUPA ect and make sure he has Holiday money ringfenced so if the worst comes to it you will get your legal entitelment
out of employers iv worked for there have been good and bad on both YOU need to negotiate with your boss directly tho :(

Not sure about SJIB, but I thought benefits of being JIB registered as a firm meant being able to tender for contracts where JIB approved or graded personnel would be completing the installation. A sort of guaranteed standard of workmanship?

Being in the union was a way of keeping your pay down, so cost effective for the companies, with the recession and more sparks than ever appearing from these 3 months courses and whatnot, it is now cheaper for them to leave, so they do not have to give you the union rate, which is now higher than what they could pay an agency spark.

Not sure about SJIB, but I thought benefits of being JIB registered as a firm meant being able to tender for contracts where JIB approved or graded personnel would be completing the installation. A sort of guaranteed standard of workmanship?

ECA is more powerful

Being in the JIB or SJIB has nothing to do with keeping your pay down and quite frankly that is an institutionally paranoid way of thinking. What these bodies do is set a "standard" for companies, so that employees know what is a fair conditions in accordance to they rest of the industry. When JIB/SJIB came about yes, their pay rates were less than some folks but this is because setting a standard which is at the upper level of the pay scale could force other companies out of business as they would not have time to adapt their business to the immediate hike in costs. Instead this gave employers time to catch up and raise their rates both charge and pay in order to come into line and hold onto the good guys that they have.

I've worked with people who will jump about employers because "that guy pays 10p an hour more" and to be honest, they are normally greedy, selfish folk who's attitude generally shows through in the rushed nature of their work.

Don't get me wrong Mr Enigma, Im NOT suggesting you are like this at all. It was just a wee sidenote rant :)

Buddie have you contacted Rab Sherry at Unite the Union? It's just short-sightedness from mobs looking to under cut the competition and I'm afraid if it happens you can say goodbye to the T&C's you expect as the company will rob you blind if they pull out!!!

Being in the JIB or SJIB has nothing to do with keeping your pay down and quite frankly that is an institutionally paranoid way of thinking. What these bodies do is set a "standard" for companies, so that employees know what is a fair conditions in accordance to they rest of the industry. When JIB/SJIB came about yes, their pay rates were less than some folks but this is because setting a standard which is at the upper level of the pay scale could force other companies out of business as they would not have time to adapt their business to the immediate hike in costs. Instead this gave employers time to catch up and raise their rates both charge and pay in order to come into line and hold onto the good guys that they have.

I've worked with people who will jump about employers because "that guy pays 10p an hour more" and to be honest, they are normally greedy, selfish folk who's attitude generally shows through in the rushed nature of their work.

Don't get me wrong Mr Enigma, Im NOT suggesting you are like this at all. It was just a wee sidenote rant :)

JIB rates with van £13.08
Job Advertised in Chelsmford £8.00
Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details

JIB rates London with van £14.65
Job adverised in N1 £7.50
Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details

yep I am paranoid........

I'd be surprised if there are many companies left that stick rigidly to the JIB/SJIB determination of wages and conditions, it's just not possible in this climate.

There will always be employers willing to exploit the situation as in the 'jobs advertised' above but personally, I think the JIB is now nothing but a qualification checking/grading service.

I'd be surprised if there are many companies left that stick rigidly to the JIB/SJIB determination of wages and conditions, it's just not possible in this climate.

There will always be employers willing to exploit the situation as in the 'jobs advertised' above but personally, I think the JIB is now nothing but a qualification checking/grading service.
indeed it is just an easy flitering system

If a company is a member of the SJIB you know that you will be getting paid the set rates and holiday pay,traveling time expenses etc,as soon as an employer pulls out of this they can then decide to offer you a new contract for less money and no overtime rates etc.if not they can pump you and there will always be another spark willing to take your place.
The SJIB is a joke anyway they know that most of their member companies perfer to use agencies now and pay under the rate to sparks they employ through the agencies with no overtime rates and the threat of getting pumped if you don't do all the hours.But the SJIB is not interested in kicking out the companies that do this.
All companies just use what they like from the SJIB agreement and ignore the rest.How have FES remained a member for years when they have have flouted every rule in the book and forced their men to sign new contracts that don't contain overtime rates.
Companies can be a member of Select and not pay SJIB terms and conditions or holiday scheme.As is the case on the Southern General in Glasgow.

Reply to company thinking about coming out of sjib in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock