Discuss Comparing heating usage Propane vs Elec in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

alexjb1989

Hi there,

I do hope this is the right place to post this!

I basically want to compare energy consumption in heating between two buildings.

Building A has a purely electrical heating system and I can get how many kWh are consumed in one month.

Building B has a gas boiler which uses 47kg propane calor cylinders. I can get how many are used in one month.

Do any of you know the best way to calc which is drawing more heat (is for space and DHW).

So Far I have gone down the line of finding out that in a 47kg of propane there is 93.82 litres of propane. And in 1litre of propane there is 20117 Btu, so in 47kg has a value of 1887377 (20117*47). So with this I can calc the Btu value per month

For building be (the elec system) the Btu value of 1kWh is 3412Btu so I multiply the monthly kWh times 3412.

With these montly Btu value for both buildings I am then compairing the two and the higher one is drawing more heating? Is the correct way to do it?

The propane building came out as using a tremendous amount more, which could be correct.

Hope this makes sense, I am sure I have made it less clear than it needs to be!

Gas will use more kWh due to flue losses etc. Electrical heating is more efficient at the point of use, but suffers from distribution and generation losses before it reaches your meter.

I would personally calculate all of your consumption as kWh rather than BTU.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Need lots of info Insulation factors of the building fabric and any windows, temperature required, occupancy etc, or shall I get my crystal ball out

Need lots of info Insulation factors of the building fabric and any windows, temperature required, occupancy etc, outside temperature? you are the environmental Analyst you tell me.

You'll never get anywhere near a true comparison, as per Pete there are many variables.

It doesn't matter about KW and BTU,
You already know the financial cost for each building assuming the Electric building is metered.

Lpg is roughly half the price per kw compared to standard rate electricity;

Reply to Comparing heating usage Propane vs Elec in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock