Discuss Competent person scheme in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
New to the thread, i imagine this question has been asked before.
I want to ask in my way though, with the hope of some advice, any would be appreciated!

I've got my level 2 & 3 2330 done in 2009 (still acceptable)
Recently done my 18th edition and 2391-52

Cant do board change or new circuit as its notifiable to building control but need these for the scheme.
Building control have given a completion notice for a board change but now want to charge around £300 (quoted) for this per notifiable job.

Any suggestions from anyone who's been down this route how I can build my work for the competent persons scheme?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth speaking to the schemes.

In my experience (and others that I've seen posting about this), they are fairly flexible on the initial install(s), where you can do the work for the assessment, hopefully pass, and then immediately notify it with your new found recognition...

The NICEIC took that approach with me, though it was 10+ years ago.

In theory you have 28 days (I think) to notify after completing the work - although in practise there seems to be no 'comeback' for notifying later...

Yes, doing the actual work between applying for the scheme and your assessment date is the usual approach. NAPIT were the same.
If I read your post correctly it sounds as though the job has already happened and BC unfortunately already know about it. If not ignore the rest!
The only possible problem in this case is that unusually BC know about the job and could beat the drum a bit for the notification (or their £300 to do it)

I wouldn't delay getting the CPS application in anyway, and this can still be used as an example job for an initial assessment. You could have a race and see whether NICEIC or NAPIT phone you back first! You only part with cash when they call you back, and NAPIT do interest free payment over 6 months.

If the building inspector for the job is approachable, and you can show that you are in process of joining a CPS you might be able to agree some flexibility with the timeline. Some are very reasonable!

In theory you have 28 days (I think) to notify after completing the work - although in practise there seems to be no 'comeback' for notifying later...

The 28-day clock only starts ticking when the work is completed, and even if the board change is done, there could be some other aspect of the job that perhaps only gets finished shortly before the CPS assessment. . . .

Ive known some jobs run 12-18 months before they eventually get notified via the cps

no point doing multiple notifications for the same property , might as well wait until its 100% finished before signing it off / notifying

Excellent point about stringing the job out and delaying notification.
"I've still got the shed sub-main to dig" and in 4 months time "Customer has changed his mind about a shed" should suffice!

Reply to Competent person scheme in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock