Discuss Competent person in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johne449

Hi,

I have passed my 2381 exam and am doing my 2391 now.

Is there any way of becoming a competent person(for domestic) without having work assessed on jobs done in a dwelling.
What I want to be able to sign off any type of domestic work.

Is there any course/place etc where you can do the work and be assessed?

Thanks

Not that i know off, you need to contact the five schemes and ask.

Out of interest i recentlly got back out onto the tools, and when i approached the NIC whilst working my notice. They wanted 2 site addresses to visit and were happy to visit my home as one off them where i changed the consumer unit so i could be assessed. They want to see one "major" and one "minor" which can be a socket change.

I don't understand why you want to "sign off" work in dwellings but aren't going to do any? If you plan to sign other peoples work off, you'd have to be confident that it was installed correctly and tested as you would be putting your name to it. The whole process has probably cost me nearly two grand so it is a big commitment.

Thanks for the response.
It was just the hassle of another person going into someone elses house and causing them further disruption which I wanted to avoid.
I intend doing all types of domestic work, not just part P stuff, so don't want the added cost and hassle of having to notify building control in advance if the work being done is not minor works.
It's interesting that you can be assessed on your own house as I want to replace the consumer unit some time in the future.
What someone else has told me is that having work passed by building control is good enough for the registration sites, which makes sense as a qualified competent inspector should be just that whether they are from building control or from a registration scheme.

The Building control officer just wants to see a certificate for my consumer unit, he doesnt test it for me (incidently that reminds me i must get him back!! i paid him after all). The Guy is clueless about electrical work, he told me he had been on a 4 day course!! All they really want to see where i live is cables at first fix within the zones and an electrical installation certificate at the end. (obviously he couldn't do the first visit in my case). I reckon if i filled it in in latin he wouldn't notice!!!

johne449,

you can sign off work now if you are competent to carry out the tesitng - you dont NEED 2391. And you will still sign off work exactly the same if you join a competent persons scheme, it just means you dont have to pre-notify building control.

I'm pretty sure the NIC require you to be trading for six months, in addition to the two jobs

Reply to Competent person in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock