Discuss Competent Persons Certificate when I'v had no work done. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve1977

I was wondering if someone could me over my little dilemma if possible!

Basically, we have sold our house and when the buyers solicitor put in their relevant searches, it was revealed that a certificate of compliance has been put in on 20/06/2011. However we havent had work done that would require such a certificate.
We have had some work done on outside lighting along with outdoor sockets in the back garden, but these are not connected to the mains and thus are basically a gloryified extension lead - nevertheless, the guy doing it did not issue a certificate.

I have spoken with this person and he is under the impression that this is a new guideline that was brought in during 2011 whereby all houses must have a certificate from a Competent Persons Organisation, however the letter from 'Standard Enquiries of Local Authority' clearly states:

" These are not building regulation applications, they are notifications from a competent persons organisation to say a certificate has been issued. We do not hold copies of these certificates "

Can someone possibly elaborate on whats going on here? Is it true that some new legislation came into force and so it was automatically flagged on peoples propertys that certificates had been issued...so when these people tried to sell they would then have to obtain these certificates?
I have been advised that this is my responsibility, yet I was told by my solicitor that it was upto me to get the house we intend to purchase checked out.

If anyone can clear the fog of confusion it would be very much appreciated.

I believe 'home buyer packs' are no longer required? Although if I was buying a house I'd check the electrics before purchasing.

It's totally up to you if you want to pay an electrician to carry out a periodic inspection report. When was the last report carried out?

if there are garden lights on plug tops, that isn't a good start :)

By the way, you won't get a certificate for the work in your house as I'm guessing you don't know who installed the electrics?

You probably only need a PIR. around ÂŁ120-ÂŁ200 depending on the size of your property.

Michael

I'm confused on a couple of points here. You had an extension lead outside socket installed by someone who either can't or didn't notify but someone has notified of work on your house? You either got a certificate or you didn't, what has any of this got to do with selling the place? Just take the extension lead out.

ÂŁ120 - ÂŁ200 for an EICR (it's not a PIR these days)? For all we know this may be a 3 phase mansion with multiple boards and a couple of cottages in the grounds where the hounds live.

It could be a mistake and it's a similar address that's had work done.
Alternately if the L.A have a notification, they know which scheme notified them and could tell you, then you could contact them and find out who notified and why.

I think the person who started this thread needs to seek clarification from your Solicitor, or who ever raised this "issue".

Edit: does it now make sense. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, it sounds a bit dodgy doesent it. In relation to the outdoor equipment I have, it is indeed safer that what I described it. (Basically there's a plug inside the house which then connects from the wire outside, this wire has weather proofed sockets coming from it along with the necessary wire for outdoor lights. All used with armoured cable and in a plastic tube. (I spent money on the most expensive cable)

When I mean it's a gloryified extension lead, what I mean is that it's not connected to the mains directly. As one user aluded to, I could simply remove the plug which would render the equipment useless.

But my main bone of contention is that it says I have had a certificate issued and the guy who done it is under the impression that some legislation was put in place whereby when people sell their house, they have to have the electrics checked. Is this true?

Or is it a case that there is a 25 year guarantee on electrics being checked and once this expires, it's flagged up on the system again which says a certificate has been done (when it hasn't) and so you then have to arrange an Electrician to do this?

Having re-read the OP do you know which scheme provider your sparky was registered with? Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC?? They would be able to reissue a certificate - Elecsa don't charge for copies - can't say what the others do.

Hope this helps

lol, it sounds a bit dodgy doesent it. In relation to the outdoor equipment I have, it is indeed safer that what I described it. (Basically there's a plug inside the house which then connects from the wire outside, this wire has weather proofed sockets coming from it along with the necessary wire for outdoor lights. All used with armoured cable and in a plastic tube. (I spent money on the most expensive cable)

When I mean it's a gloryified extension lead, what I mean is that it's not connected to the mains directly. As one user aluded to, I could simply remove the plug which would render the equipment useless.

Sockets in the garden are notifiable, but I don't know if that includes the type of arrangement you have suggested or not.
I'm tempted to think that if they are affixed to anything, regardless of how they receive their power, then they will still be notifiable.
Just out of curiosity, you do have RCDs fitted in your installation don't you?

Cheers for the replies folks. The problem I have is that the guy who did this work, did not issue a certificate. None have been done, yet it's been flagged up on the local council info that a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Which leaves me scratching my head that I'm being asked for something that wasn't issued in the first place.

The thing that worries me is that our house has the old style electric board (plug in fuses as opposed to the switches) and worried that if we get the house checked out, they'll say it needs to be re-wired - which will in turn make our house fall through even though we'v had absolutely no worries at all.

May I ask what RCD's are?

Cheers for the replies folks. The problem I have is that the guy who did this work, did not issue a certificate. None have been done, yet it's been flagged up on the local council info that a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Which leaves me scratching my head that I'm being asked for something that wasn't issued in the first place.

The thing that worries me is that our house has the old style electric board (plug in fuses as opposed to the switches) and worried that if we get the house checked out, they'll say it needs to be re-wired - which will in turn make our house fall through even though we'v had absolutely no worries at all.

May I ask what RCD's are?

This sounds to me as if the sparky didn't bother with a certificate for you BUT DID DO a Part P notification.

Still a bit puzzled as to what the issue is, unless its a simple case of the solicitors wanting the Part P certificate.

You should call each of the Schemes and see if they can locate a notification using your postcode

Don't worry about the fuseboard, millions of houses have the same.

and worried that if we get the house checked out, they'll say it needs to be re-wired - which will in turn make our house fall through even though we'v had absolutely no worries at all.

It's no different to not having double glazing or this years fashionable kitchen.
Buyers will always try and knock the price down for features you don't have.

Presumably they have had a Survey which will have noted items potentially needing attention.

Don't worry about the fuseboard, millions of houses have the same.

I only asked about RCDs because of the work he has had done to make sockets available in the garden. Maybe that's why the person who installed it did not connect it to the fixed wiring, thinking he could avoid having to use/install RCDs.
TBH it sounds like a right dogs breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Competent Persons Certificate when I'v had no work done. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net