Discuss Competent Persons Scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 106280

I'm doing some research into the current processes involved in the Competent Persons Scheme and building regulations in general. I wondered if anyone on here had any significant issues or areas of improvement that they wanted to highlight to hopefully be changed in the future. This could range from the registration process, membership fees/benefits, notification to the Local Authorities, access to data, or anything else.

Thanks

It's for a course I'm taking in public administration. Just trying to understand current issues and see if there are any simple changes that could be made and put forward to help members, regulators and local authorities.

@Midwest it’s only in the very early stages at the moment, which is why I would be interested in understanding some of the current issues from electricians or the companies they work for. Currently it seems there are large disconnects between organisations involved, very inefficient administrative methods and ambiguity over liability and audit throughout the system, but I think some views from those ‘on the ground’ would give it a lot more clarity.

With all the forums that I am or have been a member of, one of the recurring problem that arises, is what to do if a registered person fails to complete work and make notification via their scheme.

The law (Part P) requires notifiable electrical work to be notified in advance, or for a registered person to be engaged who can then notify via their scheme, after the work is completed.
As far as I am aware, the law does not allow for retrospective notification in any other circumstances?
Apparently many Local Authorities will allow retrospective notification or ‘Regularisation’ by means of an EICR.

There are no set fees for notification, individual Local Authorities set the fee according to circumstances.
From what I understand Local Authorities do not employ electrically competent Building Inspectors, so will engage the services of a sub contractor to make inspections. Fees will include this cost.
Some Local Authorities will allow a reduction in the fees, if they accept that the person conducting the work is electrically competent though not a member of a scheme.
Notification after the fact is usually more expensive than notification in advance.

The main problem with most of the Planning Regulations is that they include this statement "may be prosecuted".

As far as I'm aware there have been only 1 or 2 prosecutions for non compliance of Part P

There is nobody "policing" the regs we follow and countless cowboys ignoring them and even more wannabe sparks not abiding with BS7671 - let alone Part P

The schemes do ABSOLUTELY nothing to do anything UNLESS you use their logos without being a member.

Happy New Year.

@Midwest it’s only in the very early stages at the moment, which is why I would be interested in understanding some of the current issues from electricians or the companies they work for. Currently it seems there are large disconnects between organisations involved, very inefficient administrative methods and ambiguity over liability and audit throughout the system, but I think some views from those ‘on the ground’ would give it a lot more clarity.

IMO, a person carrying out any electrical work (in kind or financial benefit) should be qualified, competent and have some form of license or registration to verify this.

There should be public awareness of this requirement, and they should be able to verify this person is so registered.

Any person carrying out a certain level of such electrical work without being so registered or below the required standard, should be disciplined or prosecuted.

The main problem with most of the Planning Regulations is that they include this statement "may be prosecuted".

As far as I'm aware there have been only 1 or 2 prosecutions for non compliance of Part P

There is nobody "policing" the regs we follow and countless cowboys ignoring them and even more wannabe sparks not abiding with BS7671 - let alone Part P

The schemes do ABSOLUTELY nothing to do anything UNLESS you use their logos without being a member.

Happy New Year.
As a rule, Local Authorities do not prosecute for non-compliance with Building Regulations.
They just issue compliance notices and wait for the House holder to comply.

IMO, a person carrying out any electrical work (in kind or financial benefit) should be qualified, competent and have some form of license or registration to verify this.

There should be public awareness of this requirement, and they should be able to verify this person is so registered.

Any person carrying out a certain level of such electrical work without being so registered or below the required standard, should be disciplined or prosecuted.

What has this to do with Part P?

Part P is a part of the Building Regulations.
Building Regulations do not care whether a person is qualified, registered or even competent, only that the work complies.

Part P is a part of the Building Regulations.
Building Regulations do not care whether a person is qualified, registered or even competent, only that the work complies.

OP's thread is not about Part P building regulations, it's about Competent Persons Schemes. I was replying to his original question?

So are you saying, only licenced or registered electricians should be able to register with a CPS?

Nope. I was suggesting what Part P was set up to do, isn't working. My opinion of how it might proceed. But if it has failed to achieve its aims in twelve years, with various committees, organisations & governmental agendas, perhaps it's too simplistic.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm sure they will be very useful. Do you think a centralised register of all registered electricians, jobs completed and an automated notification system would make the process much better?

Reply to Competent Persons Scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net