Discuss compex training in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lozz

Hi people

I am thinking about doing the compex electrical training course, could anyone inform me of how much they payed for this course, and is it hard to do??

Had mine for 2 years now and not used it once. You need it for off shore but then they ask for experience and survival certificates so you got no chance if yve never been off shore.

Southwalesspark is correct. The CompEx course is nearly 1K which is not only for off shore installations but Hazardous Areas where the chance of explosion is a risk etc. If you are looking to get off shore thats a whole new ball game. Several other courses are needed adding up to well over 2K. On the difficulty, depends on your past training. For example, if your a domestic spark now then you wouldn't be familiar with the equipment and materials although the course includes some practical.

Google CompEX training providers to find the one nearest you.There are about thirteen spead across the country.I done mine at H.O.T.A in Hull as it been recommended to me.Cost will be about £950 with very little difference between the providers in price.If it is for the gas one it will be Ex1 to Ex4 as there are different modules for dust,gas,water treatment and petrol forecourts. Gas is the one you want for Oil&Gas or offshore work.It is all explained on the various trainers websites and how long they last

Hi
Here is a link to the BOOK used:*********
Just attended the course in Aberdeen last October
(sorry to say I failed EX04) :-( going to try again next week .....

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite challenging, a lot of theory crammed in and the exam is closed book multichoice. The practical is fairly straight forward, two installations and two inspections.

Stenkil, as you are from Hong Kong, surely it would be more cost effective to take the course in one of the centers in Singapore?

You are 100% RIGHT - but I have NO SAY in this matter - was arranged by my Company who also pay the bills ......
By the way: I am very disappointed that my 'link' was removed in my first posting, as it surely will be a great help for people attending the course for the FIRST time. But if you use the two key-words in Google, it should quickly take you to the course-book ........ 177710777 ex

I also failed. Failed the practical and two parts of the inspection. How I failed the practical I will never know. It's really a rubbish set up as you have no way of knowing how you actually failed. And its costing, me personally, another 500 quid to rest, plus time off work plus digs and petrol etc.

To be honest, I really wish I had never started this now. Ive already done my survival as well so I need to keep going now, as I am already about 2.5 grand down.

Jd-1 what center did you use?

You should have a fair idea on the day you do the practical if you have performed well. Especially with the barrier glands.

They have to send the marks off to JTL which takes a number of weeks.

I also failed. Failed the practical and two parts of the inspection. How I failed the practical I will never know. It's really a rubbish set up as you have no way of knowing how you actually failed. And its costing, me personally, another 500 quid to rest, plus time off work plus digs and petrol etc.

To be honest, I really wish I had never started this now. Ive already done my survival as well so I need to keep going now, as I am already about 2.5 grand down.

Center used: ASET Aberdeen
YES in our school-days, we used to get our 'WRONG ANSWERS' back, with a RED MARKING, so that you have a change to LEARN BY ONES MISTAKES ...... Here they just say: F A I L E D
EX04 Section B Close Inspection
EX04 Section C Detailed Inspection
Which may me wonder IF I really DID find the faults, but recorded them in the 'wrong fields' .....
smells a lot like a 'money-machine' to me........
Furthermore we were given a CD with an 'outdated course' from 2010, where the book USED was from 2012 and NOT allowed to be removed from the class room ..... :-(

YES in our school-days, we used to get our 'WRONG ANSWERS' back, with a RED MARKING, so that you have a change to LEARN BY ONES MISTAKES ...... Here they just say: F A I L E D
Which may me wonder IF I really DID find the faults, but recorded them in the 'wrong fields' .....
Furthermore we were given a CD with an 'outdated course' from 2010, where the book USED was from 2012 and NOT allowed to be removed from the class room ..... :-(

I failed the visual and close inspections. But if I passed the detailed inspection then I must have found all the faults, so I would assume anyway. It's definitely a money maker for the training companies. And another thing, there is absolutely no way that course is a one-week course. It should be two weeks at least ! The prices of the course itself are absolutely ridiculous as well. I done mine at EPIT Aberdeen.

I better get a job at the end of this to make my money back !

Jd-1 what center did you use?

You should have a fair idea on the day you do the practical if you have performed well. Especially with the barrier glands.

They have to send the marks off to JTL which takes a number of weeks.

I done it at EPIT. Didn't find them much helpful tbh. I though the practical went well. There was certainly nothing wrong with my barrier gland

The content of the course will still be the same even tho dated from 2010.

Standards are high but for very good reasons.

Follow the inspection guide in the toolbox book when you are re-sitting your inspection modules.

I failed the visual and close inspections. But if I passed the detailed inspection then I must have found all the faults, so I would assume anyway. It's definitely a money maker for the training companies. And another thing, there is absolutely no way that course is a one-week course. It should be two weeks at least ! The prices of the course itself are absolutely ridiculous as well. I done mine at EPIT Aberdeen.

I better get a job at the end of this to make my money back !

This is the self styled training industry,they want your money and they want lots of it for the course.
They are greedy so they all have high failure rates to make even more money on expensive resits.
It would suprise you who owns these training centers and survival training centers.

This is the self styled training industry,they want your money and they want lots of it for the course.
They are greedy so they all have high failure rates to make even more money on expensive resits.
It would suprise you who owns these training centers and survival training centers.

True statement.
It is a very expensive industry to get into, but once you get the first couple of trips then that is your courses paid for and then some.

Money is no object to most of the big oil companies, but the training providers......

Most of those survival training centers are like conveyor belts. You are just a number, there is no personal approach to the training.

Reply to compex training in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net