Discuss Compex Units 01-04 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martin2000

Hi All

I am new to this forum so here goes...

I am booked up to do my compex course units 01-04. I have heard it is a very difficult course with numbers like only a quarter of people in classes passing?
I was looking for anybody on here who has any advice on material to read up on in advance, whats the practical part like? If anybody had some course notes that I could have, that would be great.:wink5: I feel capable and looked well into course before booking. Just looking for some advice and presective

Thanks in advance :redface:

Martin

Hi,
Having done this course many times , I can tell you if you are a competent Electrician you won't have any problems. If it follows the same syllabus as the ones I have been on , you'll have three days of theory and two days of practicals.
EX01-02 covers Electrical And EX03-04 Instrumentation. There are plenty of good sites on the net to brush up on the theory, zoning, temperatures, selection of equipment etc. When you get to the practicals, you need to be switched on as they are all against the clock; all I can say is check and check again. When you do the maintenance part, don't think, Oh that gland looks OK, strip them down and check everything.
Check the zoning, read the labels on the equipment, if you don't you'll miss something. Be very methodical in your approach.

Regards.

Two guys in my work took it at forth valley college recently.. One passed , one failed. Both said it was quite intense. They studied ever night during it to brush up on the stuff that they had been told.

They have also introduced EPLs which guys seem to have difficulty with. When IEC 60079-0 was updated in 2007 then Atex introduced Categories and IEC introduced EPLs which mirror categories.

Hi All

I am new to this forum so here goes...

I am booked up to do my compex course units 01-04. I have heard it is a very difficult course with numbers like only a quarter of people in classes passing?
I was looking for anybody on here who has any advice on material to read up on in advance, whats the practical part like? If anybody had some course notes that I could have, that would be great.:wink5: I feel capable and looked well into course before booking. Just looking for some advice and presective

Thanks in advance :redface:

Martin

The theory side is intense and at times may seem like numbers and codes are just being thrown at you. However, the exam itself is not too bad, the guy taking the course is simply delivering what he has to, regardless of what the exam content is. No worries there.
The practical side- split two days. One half will take on ex 1+2 the other half 3+4, then vice versa the next day. Pretty simple stuff you don't need half the time they allow think we were packed up and gone by 1 o'clock both days. However concentration definitely needed but nothing to worry about. Very interesting course!

Thanks all, Put my mind at rest a little, just hope the practical is stuff I do alot at work, Fear of the unknown I suppose, Thanks again everybody.

Hi guys have my compex booked for next month pretty confident on the practical but would like to study the theory first. Could anyone help me out with some study notes or any links to download the theory please it would be appreciated , cheers

Hi guys have my compex booked for next month pretty confident on the practical but would like to study the theory first. Could anyone help me out with some study notes or any links to download the theory please it would be appreciated , cheers

Send me your email mate,I have a PDF of the course notes.

Hi lads,just completed the course last week.
id say the comments made above are spot on.
i did mine at aset Aberdeen and was very impressed with the instructor,George Sinclair,a great guy who's very knowledgable.

One thing id say on the practical though is don't be TOO fussy with your work,like I turned all the numbers in to be in perfect line with each other,cables dressed nicely etc,which basically all got cut off about 10 mins after I finished!!!!

i was a bit tight for time on the is installation which effectively was down to being too fussy and making a mistake (which I spotted and sorted) but on the power one which is supposedly more time consuming,I finished well within time.

if your regularly doing installation work it will be a breeze,I don't and it wasn't for me,I finished 4th

out of 5!!!!

I found the 5 visual,5 detailed and 5 close faults but pretty easy,on the Is installation the close faults were near enough all in the drawings (another element is reading through technical drawings).

the instructors are fair,but it is easy to fail the practical by simply not locking off effectively,failing to ask for a gas test cert verification,removing covers when not isolated etc so it does require a bit of thought.

the theory is a tough slog,I've done a bit of this offshore but it wasn't a huge help,you really need to go in with a fresh mind so no boozing at night unless your very good at revising!!!!

also unless you do barrier glands regularly I suggest you practice on a few first,its not rocket science but mess it up and you could fail,the nature of the new ones is that the plastic sleeve can be removed for inspection hence that's what the instructor does to check everything's spot on.

good luck to anyone doing it and do as much research first as you can.

Hello all. Done my compex start of June, I had a lucky number as I had the compex toolbox guide to study before I went on the course so I had a good idea about zoning, protection methods, gas groups, t ratings etc. I've never seen any this stuff before in my life, and I found the theory pretty easy if you study a bit before going up and the practical isn't all that hard just pernickety. Done mine in epit aberdeen, fantastic experience there. Good luck all

I have somewhere tichy,ill see if I can send them over.
john90,good stuff mate.
yep once you got your head round gas groups and EPL's it wasn't that bad.
what I found was though if you switched off for a bit it was hard to catch up again.
for revision I learnt all the tables etc,then tried as many past papers as I could and I also wrote down everything that he asked us to highlight/make notes on a couple of sheets of a4 and just read through that over and over.
worked out well as two questions came about directly from my notes that I'd made but hadn't really read properly until about an hour before the exam.
hope I passed it,I answered every question and only really got stuck on 3 or 4 that needed re reading a few times.
did guess two of them!!!!
good thing is once done that's it for 5 years plus if you only fail one module you only resit that one not the full test.
lets hope that's not needed eh?

I done it at aset 2 week ago found it a sound course but about 10 lads out of 17 were struggling big time ..5 lads had never made a gland off and spent near £1000 for the course (********s) most of thay lads will defo be back a few times thay simply never knew what hit them and were ready to walk out of classes it was that bad the amazing this was a lot of the house bashers on the course had been promised offshore work lol I fear the worst for u offshore lads if that is the dross being accepted on a rig guy that have never worked on owt but re wires and houses lol !!!!

Reply to Compex Units 01-04 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net