Discuss Complex Boiler/Light RCD trip issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ac1995

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I’d really appreciate some advice or suggestions as to what could be causing an ongoing issue I have with my RCD tripping.

My RCD trips when I turn my bathroom light off when the boiler is on. It’s worth noting it’s not exactly every time and sometimes when the light has been left on for a while, e.g 30 mins or so, it won’t trip the RCD if the light is switched off when the boiler is on. It’s also been happening for a number of months and so with the advice of an electrician I’ve been able to take detailed notes and figure out it’s definitely only happening when the boiler is on.

To add even more mystery, the lighting is on a seperate circuit and isn’t on the same RCD as the sockets/boiler and so when I turn the light off causing all the RCD to trip & sockets not to work, the lights including the bathroom light are still fine, switching on and off.

This has been a pretty complex problem and only began when a friend’s boyfriend offered to ‘test’ the voltage on a socket in my kitchen (next to the boiler) as part of work to see if he could repair a microwave I had blown up. When he ‘tested’ the voltage the RCD tripped at the time and then I’ve had this problem ever since.

It’s probably also worth noting I’ve had an electrician out who replaced the original socket where the voltage was ‘tested’ and he confirmed there was no burning he could see or damaged wires. The electrician wasn’t very sure what else the issue could be so advised I make a detailed diary of when the RCD tripped and what was on at the time.

I have also had a hive thermostat installed on my boiler since by someone registered who didn’t mention anything wrong with the wiring (although he wasn’t aware of the issue at the time as I hadn’t worked out it was the boiler) and did re look at the full boiler wiring for me to check all ok.

It’s a really frustrating issue that is causing me quite a bit of stress as I want to get it resolved without spending a fortune and digging out any wires!

Does anyone have any suggestions to what could be the issue? Appreciate its not easy without seeing it but I have the option of getting another electrician out or I can try to get my home insurance to cover it

Also thanks I’m advance for any help/thoughts and just to clarify I am not intending to do any work here myself

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Complex Boiler/Light RCD trip issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net