Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Domestic Compliant or not?

Discuss Compliant or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rob Smith 643

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

At a recent 17th Edition update course, uproar broke out in the canteen (well nearly) over the use of a fused connection unit to supply a lighting circuit in a bathroom from a ring main. While talking about special locations, it had been suggested by one guy that if there was no spare way on the RCD side of the consumer unit (old '16th Edition' board) then he would consider spurring from the upstairs ring with an unswitched FCU to supply the lighting solely for the bathroom and take the bathroom out of the upstairs lighting circuit and leave a notice to this effect at the consumer unit to fulfil the need for plans/diagrams of alterations. This was offered up (not by the trainer/host I might add) as an alternative to spending X amount on RCBO or if RCBO was not available for an older style CU. Some nodded and thought it was ok but others argued, including the trainer that it would cause problems with seperation of circuits and hence not be 7671 compliant. Its a tickler...

Any thoughts from more experienced members...? I can almost hear the outcry now!

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
O

Octopus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not thought of doing it that way (getting a bathroom on a RCD) - can't really see a problem is labelled correctly.

Re seperation of circuits, if the "FCU" supplied circuit is the only one in the bathroom whats the problem?

Tin hat on.

Unconventional but so what, as long as there is a note at the consumer unit and a label on the fused connection unit then division of circuits isn't really a concern.

hasel5

-
Arms
Would of thought the light being fused off ring was a way forward re division of circuits

Tin hat on lol

why not? certainly wouldn't consider it normally but if you were in the situation of change board or spur off ring, I know what I would do!

P

Plonker 3

Nothing wrong with doing that at all. Not what everyone would do but if the customer doesn't want to pay for a RCD switch fuse spur.

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Not ideal but if needs must then so be it. It's great having all the speculation and arguments you want in the classroom but the real world is very different.

R

Rob Smith 643

Strima, thankyou. That is so true and incredibly 'worldly' but that is what the forum is for, isn't it? For experienced members to enlighten the not so experienced and to exchange experiences, thoughts and problems uncovered in the real world or even in a classroom for that matter :)

D

Dave 85

I do 30-40 bathrooms a year and the various methods I use to RCD the circuits are as follows:

C/U change
Move lights to RCD side of 16th board
Repalce/convert MCB to RCBO
RCD fused spur on lighting circuit (either whole circuit or just bathroom part)
RCD fused spur on ring feeding bathroom lights

I have never spurred the lights from the ring when a 16th board is present as I normally just move the whole circuit (I carry various types of buzzbar so this is never a problem) but I cant see any problem with this method and may consider it in future if there is no easier option.

TBH I couldn't care less what some 17th edition trainer thinks.....If I reckons something is a safe install then thats the way Im gonna do it. BS7671 is non statutory and, as the constant debates on this forum show, not black and white.

G

Guest55

Clearly your course instructor is not an "out the box" thinker.
Spur to feed lights ? perfectly acceptable , seen it a hundred times , done it myself plenty times.
;-)

D

Dave 85

Clearly your course instructor is not an "out the box" thinker.
Spur to feed lights ? perfectly acceptable , seen it a hundred times , done it myself plenty times.
;-)
What is it they say about 'those who cant do'........

A

Adam W

It's not ideal and I don't think anyone would try to say that it is, but I was under the impression CUs should be divided up so you get lights and sockets in the same room on different RCDs, MCBs etc so one could be isolated or operate and you would still have light in the room. Unless the bathroom is exceptionally large you wouldn't have sockets in there anyway, ie you'd only have a lighting circuit (on one breaker) so in a bathroom the issue of segregation of circuits is purely academic since (immersion heater aside, which would probably be in a cupboard) there is only one circuit.

G

Guest55

What is it they say about 'those who cant do'........
Thats true in many ways.
Though i must say that my electrical theory teacher at college was an ex electricity board engineer with 30 yrs on the tools.
There was nothing he didnt know , awesome guy.
And i've thought about becoming a electrical tutor myself for quite some time - i hope the comment wont apply to yours truely lol.

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
I like to spur loft lights from the RFC using an SFCU, that way you can work on the upstairs lights in the future without having to don the headtorch, no different to spurring off for any other room.

With the varying amount of balding designs and installations around there is never a text book answer.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Compliant or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom