Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Complicated dual tariff arrangement with four main switches. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

It’s a commonly found set up in north Scotland for THTC setup. If you don’t know or understand it I’d suggest leave alone.
If you’re pulling the bullet to do the work, to isolate, presumably your either an NICEIC or SELECT registered contractor.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

ferg

-
Arms
Esteemed
The Telemeter can have 3 outputs.
Storage, 24hr and hot water.

Plus normal for domestic board.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I came across this set up the other day, so it’s not just a north of Scotland thing. (I’m south Scotland) and I do remember them being popular in the 90’s.
Scottish Power thing only I believe, and other suppliers don’t offer the same set up.

The one I saw was a MEM double row board with lighting and power on top, and the 3 heater circuits below.
Beware of borrowed neutrals in the heating side. Mine had storage heater points that had been moved to the 24hr heating side for replacements with electric radiators... but they had only moved the live conductors, not the neutrals.
3 neutral bars off the 3 mainswitches.
Works fine until one of the main switches is turned off.... then the neutral of the swapped over circuit doesn’t have a return path except through my finger!!

(Details changed for dramatic intent. Safe isolation procedures were followed, and N-E showed 240v.... no fingers were harmed in the making of this post)

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
So its a little more common than you think.
Maybe other suppliers tried the same idea??
Did the suppliers not think at the time that people would use the cheap daytime heating tariff for a s
Its not too complicated if you can follow the spaghetti of cables inside the board.

Reply to Complicated dual tariff arrangement with four main switches. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom