Discuss complicated solar switch arrangement in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggetsions on which gear would be best for this arrangement. Need to use a solar switch to feed an immersion heater and 3 zones of UFH. Outline attached. Feed from the solar switch needs to be routed to the UFH zones or the immersion heater - controlled from a room thermostat. If directed to the UFH there need to be 4 modes: i) cycle through all 3 zones with an adjustable period, ii) to 1 of 3 zones. There needs to be a main enable/disable control/switch for the solar switch and a daylight sensor. If disabled or dark, the UFH would be switched to a conventional arrangement to be controlled using 3 programmable thermostats. Anyone done anything like this?

Attachments

• complicated solar switch arrangement P1060964_900x1200.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    P1060964_900x1200.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 137
Forcing the UFH to make use of the PV heated water is sensible, but I suspect it'll have to be a fair size array, and a custom controller (certainly for the cycling requirement)

I'm assuming these will be immersions within a TS rather than a conventional cylinder.

Personally would always use an ImmerSun for lots of reasons
The controls can be quite easily done depending upon which ufh room stats you have
I'd use an immersun with heatmiser controls and a number of changeover contactors.
If you don't understand my response, or can't research it yourself then don't attempt it and instead get it designed properly.
You could also build a simple arduino controlled set of relays and contactors to do it
One of recent projects required a system to control and prioritise a fan coil unit, underfloor heating and a number of radiant panels simples:) the controls cost £1200 to design, supply and install - works perfectly, client over the moon with the results.

Having said that unless you've got >4kWp you're probably wasting your effort, just go for a twinned immersion TS or dhw cylinder

if you have spare time then you can do it using a microcontroller (atmel, arduino, pic etc).
Add some sensors and relays and rewrite your block diagram into C language.

P.s. you actually need a number of extra controls and sensors than you have in your diagrams to make it work properly.
And the big question is what is the heatvsource for the ufh?

P.s. you actually need a number of extra controls and sensors than you have in your diagrams to make it work properly.
And the big question is what is the heatvsource for the ufh?

4kW PV system - for the switch, haven't yet decide between Immersun, Solic, Intelligent Immersion, Wooldridge or Solar Immersion. Electric ufh: 3 zones: 1200W / 2250W / 1800W (150W/m2).

Its been a long time since i fitted an immersun . remember in the manual an option to connect multiple outputs . Connect first output to immersion , once the immersion reaches temperature the immersun would automatically switch outputs to a secondary load . Maybe you could incorporate this feature for your ufh ?

Personally would always use an ImmerSun for lots of reasonsThe controls can be quite easily done depending upon which ufh room stats you have I'd use an immersun with heatmiser controls and a number of changeover contactors.If you don't understand my response, or can't research it yourself then don't attempt it and instead get it designed properly.You could also build a simple arduino controlled set of relays and contactors to do itOne of recent projects required a system to control and prioritise a fan coil unit, underfloor heating and a number of radiant panels simples:) the controls cost £1200 to design, supply and install - works perfectly, client over the moon with the results.Having said that unless you've got >4kWp you're probably wasting your effort, just go for a twinned immersion TS or dhw cylinder
thanks Worcester - would you be happy to share schematic for that job?

thanks Worcester - would you be happy to share schematic for that job?

There is a limit to what we give away :)

Whats the heat source for the ufh?
if electric, what's the power rating in each of the rooms ?

The concept of this idea is good, but I suspect you'll struggle to notice the difference the PV makes.

We done similar, with just a single but larger zone, and found if there's enough sun to drive the UFH the majority of the increase in space heating is via thermal gain through windows.

Hello AJN9000

I have done quite a lot of immersun's & i know there is 3 output's on them that can be utilized for different options of heating, when each unit is satisfied the other turns on.

we have a done a few different heating setup's using relay units, I found keeping things simple by running heating circuits through N/o or N/C relay outputs & then through coils can be quite quick & logical to do unless looking to program something more sophisticated?

I've ofen thought about this with electric ufh, the problem I see is giving the thermostats a duel supply, i don't see how this would function. putting a direct feed to the heat mats with no thermostatic control would be bad pratice.

This is NOT complicated, unfortunately we still don't have all the information ..
What make and model controllers do you currently have for the ufh?
Is it room by room ? If not why not and how is it configured?
Surely each room already has floor stats?
Does each room also have a room stat ?
What make is the ufh ?

Last edited:

Reply to complicated solar switch arrangement in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock