Discuss Computer Headset Jack Plug Wiring! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

renegadeandy

Hi Guys - desperately seeking advice here!

I have a computer gaming headset which I accidently ripped both jack plugs off from - a microphone plug and a plug for headphones.

Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset (51MZ0310AA001)

Now - I have two replacement jack plugs cut off from a different set of headphones as a replacement and my job for today is to rewire them all back up to work properly with these new jacks - this is where the problems begin.

As you can see in this photo - there are 4 wires on the black cable. The black cable runs from the headset it has the following:

White
Red
Green
Blue
Copper random wire shielding?

My single jacks from the other old device cable which will be used as a replacement has 3,

red
blue
copper random wire shielding?

I have tried connecting blue to blue red to red and copper to copper but no results.

Can somebody please guide me on the correct wiring what goes to what!

Thanks and I will add any more info if you need it!

Computer Headset Jack Plug Wiring! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Hi There,

Sounds like your headphones are stereo, so white and red would be + and - to 1 speaker, green and blue would be + and - to other speaker. Try blue and white together and red and green together from headphone cable and connect these to white and red of other cable to give mono sound. Finally connect shield.

Mark

Right, so,

Which of you two are correct?

Cos you are saying different things!

Also the red green and blue are an odd type of cable - no plastic shielding, so do I just twist them together with the appropriate wires from the other new jack- cos it doesnt seem to be working :S

As for the mic - the white cable has some plastic shielding so I presume I connect that to one side of the nmew jack and the other side i connect with the copper?

Last edited by a moderator:
then you are the man to help me fix this!

So I dont have the original plugs anymore or cabling - so im thinking that may be why my efforts are not working.

So you have red to red, green to green and blue to blue..... how does that correspond to my red green and copper on my replacement jack from other headphones.

Not very clear in my pics but original wiring is red to red , blue to blue and Green to copper not sure how that actually wires up to jack plug as original plug was filled with resin. the colour on the wires is lacquer which youll need to burn off with a match or lighter before resoldering. hope that helps

ooooo, right i was wonderin about the colours! So hopefully I can try repair it now - will post back tomorrow once ive found some matches!

Ok so I have resoldered back together red to red, blue to white and green to copper.

This works =>

Now to the mic, I have another jack again one white cable, one red and one copper.

I so far have attached the white from original cable to white on new cable, and copper to the copper on the new and left red open.

However when I test the mic I get a helish amount of feedback.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Am I just being stupid or what , but why don't you just go out and buy a new one with all the messing about you do it may still not work in the end.:)

It cost me 30 quid and im not in the habit of wasting cash.

I am confident it will work - i got the headphone part working fine, its now just the mic

[Now to the mic, I have another jack again one white cable, one red and one copper]

If that is the plug you cut off summat else it sounds like its a stereo plug, i.e. not a mic plug. Should be mono.
You should only have one wire and screen for mic. so if the stereo plug is all you've got, join the red and white wires attached to the plug together and attach the one mic wire to them and the screen [copper] to the screen coming from the plug.

Ahhh, ok, im gona go give that a test now!

Ok, so now the feedback has disappeared but it doesnt pick up my voice.

Does the copper from the new cable connect to the copper from the original, or the green earth?

OK. If you're sure that the red blue and green are the headset wires and the white is the mic.then the red and blue should be connected to the center of the plug and the small ring half way up the plug and the green to the large section of the plug. Bell them out to check what is connected to where. then connect the white and screen to the other plug. screen to large bit and white to the small ring and tip.
If that does'nt work then you'll have to check if the colours are as we are assuming.
You can do this by flashing a small 1.5volt battery across the wires. hold a red wire to the base of the battery and flash the other wires inturn to the other end of the battery and you will get a crackle from whichever speaker is affected.Then do the same with the blue wire and so on. At least that way you can establish what wires belong to what.
None of the wires and screen from the headset should be connected together.
If all that does'nt work then a fiver will buy you a new two plug headset.

Yes but this is a really good one I like - shouldnt be this hard to fix.

Almost 100% sure the white cable is for the mic, I just cannot work out how to fix the mic part - the headphones now work fine!

If you have the screen connected to any other wires that'll stop the mic from working.

what do you mean screen

Ive tried it, all i get is loud feedback and no voice picking up - i dont know what im doing wrong,, Could i connect the screen off the new cable to the green ground of my other set of wires perhaps?

Screen = the bare copper wire [sometimes just a bare multi strand wire and sometimes a lattice type sleeve like on co-ax. cable. the bare copper should only be connected to the body of your mic plug and nowhere else.
If your still getting feedback then there must be something common connected to both the plugs or else the colours are not what we are supposing they are.I guess It's back to disconnecting and buzzing out the wires to find out what they are.

my god this has taken me all day and its still not working.

Like the headphones are perfect , so that is fine whicih leaves a screen and a white plastic cable....... currently i have white plastic cable connected to red / white twisted together and screen to screen
still no luck....

my god this has taken me all day and its still not working.

Like the headphones are perfect , so that is fine whicih leaves a screen and a white plastic cable....... currently i have white plastic cable connected to red / white twisted together and screen to screen
still no luck....

Like I said earlier go out and buy another one with all the messing about and it's still not working, when you pulled the lead apart you may have damaged it further up the lead inside the cable which you can't see.

Reply to Computer Headset Jack Plug Wiring! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock