Discuss Computer memory. RAM....... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In the past I was told that for RAM it was better to have 2 memory cards rather than one.
e.g. have two 4GB cards rather than an 8GB card.
Is this still the case?

It depends weather or not the motherboard supports 'duel channel'. And also you need to use to identical chips. Ideally a pair sold together for the purpose.

Just looking at getting a new comp. Seeing if the old rule of "2 memory cards are better than one" still applies.
Will have to check out the motherboard.
Ta mate.

Make sure you buy a computer with an SSD hard drive.It makes the computer much faster.

That's what I'm also looking at.

From memory, pardon the pun, Dual channel is slightly faster but needs a matched pair and a motherboard that supports it.

If you plan to upgrade ram in the future you are limited to replacing with 2 bigger sticks rather than adding 1 or 2 more.

For the SSD I have a 960 Evo M.2 and it is like Shyte off a shiny shovel.

Possibly there are newer cheaper options on the market now though. :)

With modern PC's you won't notice the difference unless you are loading the memory heavily with applications, playing Tetris or Solitaire will be fine but as mentioned a decent SSD drive makes a hell of a difference.

Are you looking for a laptop or a desktop?

What are you planning to use the PC for?

Playing games and editing video's for my daughters YouTube channel.
Rendering videos takes about 2.5 hours for a 30 min vid. If she does an hour vid then it takes lots of hours and I end up leaving it running overnight.

All mainstream desktop motherboards these days use dual channel memory...the 'HEDT' ones are even quad channel. Dual channel memory will be worth it for gaming and video editing, can make a significant difference. If a new PC didn't have it these days, I'd be wondering what other corners have been cut.

Reply to Computer memory. RAM....... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock